FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blown out material from BMD 2.5 K camera

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Blown out material from BMD 2.5 K camera
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:32:38 am

Hi,

When loading material from the BMD 2.5K camera shot in raw into Resolve, the files are totally blown out.
They are easy to recover by pulling down the gain control, but I find this strange.
The DOP says that nothing was clipped on his histogram, and I guess he's right as its that easy to recover by using the gain controll. Its like there are recorded data far beyond the 255 as can be pulled back. Im used to Red and Alexa where everything over 255 is clipped. This is not.
Any idea what is going on?

stig

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Blown out material from BMD 2.5 K camera
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:31:47 pm

Why don't you post a still frame for us to see?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 17, 2015 at 11:06:01 pm

[stig olsen] "Its like there are recorded data far beyond the 255 as can be pulled back. Im used to Red and Alexa where everything over 255 is clipped."

What's this "255?" There cannot be any values over 255 in 8-bit. This is likely a re-scaling issue.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Mar 20, 2015 at 11:56:21 am

Thanks, it was a scaling issue.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 24, 2015 at 6:09:02 am

[stig olsen] "When loading material from the BMD 2.5K camera shot in raw into Resolve, the files are totally blown out. They are easy to recover by pulling down the gain control, but I find this strange. "
How is your exposure set up in the Camera Raw Project controls? If you have an excessively high setting, this could conceivably clip out the whites. I routinely drop the master project settings down a notch just to avoid this problem with all raw formats -- for example, I'll knock 800 ISO projects down to maybe 500 to salvage the whites. If they're really underexposed, then I'll go in and manually bring them back to 800 if necessary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]