FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using stills as a reference.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Using stills as a reference.
on Mar 13, 2015 at 7:06:08 pm

A client has given me a series of stills that they want me to emulate the look of. What would be the best method of using these stills?

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Using stills as a reference.
on Mar 13, 2015 at 10:26:14 pm

first inclination is to import them into the Resolve project just like any other media - create a "Client Reference" folder and a timeline from that, then grab internal Resolve "reference" stills so that you don't have to go about creating wipes or crops or whatever on multiple layers.

Important thing to check is that the stills themselves are interpreted and scaled correctly, by default to video levels, I imagine -- if you were going to be scientifically rigorous, it might also not be a terrible idea to see how they looked in whatever creation software was used to generate the stills -- if another Resolve project, probably no worries, but if there is a platform-centric user color profile associated with the file, then beware. Not all files are created equally or for the same colorspace.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Mar 13, 2015 at 10:33:54 pm

Thanks Joseph, I didn't even think to check what colorspace, etc the stills are.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Andrew Shtern
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:02:29 am

You can import them directly to the stills gallery of your project (right click - Import).
But yes, as Joseph noted, you should check compliancy of the stills to your target colorspace and levels.

Andrew Shtern
Editor/Colorist
The Coffeepost @Kiev, UA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]