FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yet another "which monitor should I buy" question...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Dempster
Yet another "which monitor should I buy" question...
on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:40:06 pm
Last Edited By Susan Dempster on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:42:18 pm

This forum has great advice on monitors, but none of the previous threads I have read seem to fit my scenario. Hope you all can bear with me for another go round...

My company is getting ready to purchase a resolve system. We will be grading 2k and 4k footage for documentaries and stock distribution. It's a big investment for us and I want to make sure the "grading" monitor we buy compliments that investment (Whats the point in a spanky new workstation if you don't see what you are doing well?)

Alas, everyone has a budget. I like the Flanders CM250 OLED, but at $6,500 there's no money leftover for calibration probes (are the probes still absolutely essential with a monitor like this one?).

Any and all monitor recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I have no prior experience with probes so suggestions on where to start with those would be helpful, too!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vincenzo Onorato
Re: Yet another "which monitor should I buy" question...
on Mar 13, 2015 at 5:59:52 pm

Hi Susan,

there are a lot of good monitors out there, but for me, you have found the best one. If you can buy a Flanders, do it. Don't worry about calibration and probes, Flanders offers a FREE calibration service, and other similar services. For more infos:

http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/calibration.php

good luck :)

V.O.

Return to posts index

Susan Dempster
on Mar 13, 2015 at 7:43:54 pm

That's great news on the free calibration! thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 13, 2015 at 10:13:14 pm

[Vincenzo Onorato] "If you can buy a Flanders, do it. Don't worry about calibration and probes, Flanders offers a FREE calibration service,"

Concur -- it is a very cost effective solution for getting into a grade level solution without adding another zero to the price. Flanders has also started offering a package deal on some approved probes and calibration software, so that is worth looking into IF for some reason, you start gravitating into the situation of trying to match other monitors into the signal flow, and as a confidence backup.... but that would be like an insurance policy against a worst case scenario.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 15, 2015 at 3:27:05 pm

I too love my Flanders..but be aware the free calibration service does assume you are paying the cost of shipping. I live outside the U.S. So the shipping on my Flanders is around 3 or 4 hundred each way...that's assuming I can do without it for a week or so.

Doesn't take too many shipping costs like that for me to pay for one of their probe options. Really one trip back and forth and I've bought their basic package.

As you said, it's quite the investment for your company. The monitor will be calibrated when you receive it. There is nothing stating you couldn't put a probe in next years budget.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Susan Dempster
on Apr 8, 2015 at 5:47:10 pm

I truly appreciate this forum and everyone's advice. You all made me feel more confident about my decision... purchased the Flanders... can't wait to receive it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]