FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Different Resolves in different facilities with same issue in 1 week.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Pickett
3 Different Resolves in different facilities with same issue in 1 week.
on Mar 12, 2015 at 7:52:27 pm

I have had the same issue pop up this week in three different facilities running Resolve on Macs. I have been on both legacy towers with Cuda and a cylinder with Thunderbolt.

Everything is cruising along and then the monitor and scopes stop seeing the color corrections. The timeline thumbnails display what I am doing but the scopes and grading monitor stay static with the picture in whatever grade it was on before this anomaly sets in.

Restarts clear this hang but it is a sudden onset issue at every place I have worked this week. Support staff haven't seen it before and neither had I. Could be me yet I haven't caused this magic hang up before.

Reporting live from the trenches, now time to restart again.

Dave

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: 3 Different Resolves in different facilities with same issue in 1 week.
on Mar 12, 2015 at 8:03:36 pm

Sometimes I wonder if its a cacheing issue. Have seen it occasionally, people can get casual about where the temp files are kept but of course everything about this application is critical.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Mar 13, 2015 at 2:12:46 am

Hey Dave, your report is missing the most important detail, what exact version are you using?

Return to posts index

Dave Pickett
on Mar 13, 2015 at 11:39:14 am

Good question Peter.

I updated to 11.2.1.002 yesterday on my own system before I began the session which had the issue. Earlier this week I was in two other facilities and had the same issue but did not check which version they were running. The first time I figured it was a local system bug. The second location made me pause a bit and then when it occurred twice in my own system I wanted to raise the flag.

I will check the software versions of the other two places today and report back.

As far as the cache goes Joe I assume all three parties are set up diligently in a way that has provided healthy operation since the advent of Resolve 11. Things certainly change but that would be a startling coincidence of sudden onset cache issues.

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 13, 2015 at 10:08:56 pm

[Dave Pickett] "that would be a startling coincidence"

I agree. I do also note that occasionally I see epidemics of things, whether they are related to point updates or simply the time of year if there is a seasonal production swing and/or some production companies start favouring a camera style, codec, or other post-workflow that somehow tips a balance somewhere.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Kelly Reese
on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:22:28 am

Does the timeline still play fine? If so, could it be in bypass grade mode?

Return to posts index

Dave Pickett
on Mar 22, 2015 at 1:18:47 am

That is possible yet I was able to recreate the scenario again by changing RED decoding settings from Project to Clip and back to Project in the main Gui page lower left. I had been doing a lot of RED footage last week so perhaps that has something to do with why I had the epidemic so to speak.

The real interesting part was that each of the 4 times this occurred the color timeline thumbnails would change with the corrections but the monitor and the scopes would not. So the corrector was receiving data from the control panel and behaving correctly yet the video out remained static. Further, any corrections I did apply while trying to wake up my static display seemed to save so that when I restarted the system, those corrections were in place, just not displaying prior to restart. And this was on three separate Macs, two with legacy towers with Cuda and one with a nMacPro with Thunderbolt.

I did test switching to the the Camera Raw config menu to toggle the RED decode settings to see if I could wake it up but to no avail. Is there a function in Resolve that automatically bypasses all nodes when toggling RED decoding parameters? I wouldn't think so. You would want to see what those changes did to your existing grade. Further, why would it show up in the timeline thumbnails if bypassed?

All Resolves were 11.2 on Macs.

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Kelly Reese
on Mar 23, 2015 at 5:25:56 am

When in bypass, the thumbnails do update with color changes while the viewer and scopes do not, so this sounds familiar. The viewer would remain displaying no color correction. I wonder if some combo could be triggering this. I sometimes have stills get played when doing certain unrelated functions. Next time the problem happens, try hitting shift D to see if it fixes it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]