FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime rendering

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruben Contreras
Quicktime rendering
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:14:33 am

I am having issues with Quicktime DNxHD 444. When i render out my XML and import into Premier, the color doesn't match. I ran a test and rendered uncompressed 10-bit and brought into Premier and it matches. What should i be rendering at to get the same color quality i am seeing in Resolve?

I also did a test rendering out H.264 and i get a color match. Go figure? Is DNxHD 444 not the right way to render out on PC?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Quicktime rendering
on Mar 5, 2015 at 3:27:32 pm

are your settings set to Auto in Resolve? Try setting it to Video.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ruben Contreras
on Mar 5, 2015 at 5:51:27 pm

Hi Glenn,

Were do i set this and what is the difference? One thing i noticed is that when i bring back my clips from Resolve to Premier and i check the info per clip, it is labeled as Type: Video and no longer Type: MOV Is this normal?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 5, 2015 at 5:55:31 pm

In your delivery tab, you should see a setting for Video Data Level

Auto/Video/Data.

Leaving this in auto might not give you proper results, and I'm not sure Premiere is the best a color management, so between the two, you might be getting elevated or crushed levels, depending on the situation.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ruben Contreras
on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:02:12 pm

I got it to work, apparently it needs to be set to Data 4-1019 and not Auto. Video didn't work either. Can someone shine some light as to why it needs to be set on this setting and not auto or video? Differences?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:59:02 pm

Well, i suggest you go and buy a book about the wonderful world of video.
For example :
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Compositing-In-Depth-Production/dp/1576104311
Or as good as
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Correction-Handbook-Professional-Techniques/dp/...

The thing is, there is no right or wrong, no this or that.
Some people need video level, some need data, some deliver video and want data or the other way round.
You need to be able to spot the difference, trust your system and even more, your instincts.
Like when you get stuff from "camera people" or AVID people its 80% video level..
But then ? Does it go broadcast, or film, or web ?

Seriously, buy those , spend some time with them, and it will get clear.
For now, never trust Quicktime

Resolve 11.2 - Smoke 2015 EXT1SP2 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:02:11 pm

[Ruben Contreras] "Can someone shine some light as to why it needs to be set on this setting and not auto or video? Differences?"

Its a scaling issue. 444 in either ProRes or DnXHD appear to get ambiguously decoded by Quicktime or whatever profiling engine is in play in the NLEs -- which can't pick whether its RGB or Y'CbCr, or whether the video range is set to the graphic profile of (essentially) 0-1023 (which Resolve correctly calls 4-1019) or 64-940, which is Rec709 HD "Linear Video"... the broadcast standard of 0-100 IRE which allows for over- and under-shoots in the video waveform. That is, so you can have -20 and +120 without clipping the original.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ruben Contreras
on Mar 6, 2015 at 7:46:23 pm

Thanks Joseph for the detailed explanation.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Mar 8, 2015 at 5:11:11 pm

What absolutely astonishes me is that after decades of ambiguity around levels, this kind of problem persists.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]