FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to Resolve - Retimed compound clips

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Hillyard
FCPX to Resolve - Retimed compound clips
on Feb 23, 2015 at 8:41:07 pm

I am in a pickle. I've been getting fcpx edits in Davinci Resolve 11.2.1 with a significant amount of custom retimed compound clips apparently from multicam sequences. I'm looking for a way to break apart these clips while maintaining or copying the retiming. Problem is anytime I try "open in timeline" with these clips, Resolve is crashing to desktop or hanging. "Copy attributes" doesn't work with these either. My work around at the moment is to remove the retime and then "Decompose in place" reedit the source clip to the correct in point and then attempt to recreate the custom retiming as accurate as possible to the reference movie.

There are going to be hundreds of these retimed nested sequences and I need a better work around because this project is part of a larger post pipeline with a full arri raw conform with VFX and Grading and these compound clips aren't ideal for onlining in Resolve and seem to be taking the color corrections funky, as if the grades are applying twice? Any Ideas on how these can be fixed in Resolve of FCPX are much appreciated?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: FCPX to Resolve - Retimed compound clips
on Feb 26, 2015 at 6:02:35 am

I see no way around it except to have the editor flatten the timeline to avoid any more than 2 video layers and eliminate all compound clips in FCPX. That's what I usually request for a final color pass. Compound clips are a mess in many applications if you have to go from one to the other.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: FCPX to Resolve - Retimed compound clips
on Feb 26, 2015 at 8:53:01 am

Yeah, i agree.
One way is to just export a flat video to ProRes422 from the whole edit, split it up into clips or use an EDL and grade away.
Then, wenn they are happy with the actual grading export non-retimed clips from FCXP , apply your grades with Color Trace and give them back to FCPX using the commercial workflow.
I know, it a lot of manual work but it gives them a lot of flexibility in editing.
Not sure how FCPX is handling file management, but on AVID we would just collect the retimed clips into a bin and consolidate to a folder for exchange.
Then we would relink afterward to the graded versions.

Resolve 11.2 - Smoke 2015 EXT1SP2 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]