FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci 8 with an external monitor

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enginn Heima
Davinci 8 with an external monitor
on Feb 23, 2015 at 4:24:09 pm

Hi.

I´m in a kind of a dilemma. I'm completely new to Davinci Resolve, and I´d like to get it to work on a second monitor.

My specs are, DaVinci Resolve 8.2.1, MacBook Pro 6,1 (17") running OSX Snow Lepoard (10.6.8) - btw, the reason why I'm stuck with 8.2.1

I kind of understood that you could buy some hardware from Blackmagic to make this happen, but which one? They all seem to only work with Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 which my Macbook does not have.

Is there anybody out there that might have a magic solution for me, or am I bound to throw out my old Macbook and buy a new one?

Kind regards.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Davinci 8 with an external monitor
on Feb 23, 2015 at 7:21:17 pm

[Enginn Heima] "Is there anybody out there that might have a magic solution for me, or am I bound to throw out my old Macbook and buy a new one?"

Your platform is somewhere around 3-4 years out of date. There are several factors in play that will thwart your efforts. Back that far, Resolve did not offer any work-arounds that started opening the door to using a DVI/Thunderbolt path with the goal of being able to use the GUI preview as a judgement display. Even now, it does take a specific monitor profile and LUT to get an operator into the ballpark, where the preview will start to resemble your actual output. The premise remains that the unadulterated shortest path to a robust and trustworthy rendition is passed through a Blackmagic I/O device, whether it is internal or not.

Something to check out would be to consult the Configuration Guide for Resolve8 -- it might be archived somewhere -- probably more than a few of us have it hanging around in our downloads bin that we haven't gotten around to trashing yet. There may be some legacy output boxes, but whether they are still supported or available would be up to the resellers or the usual online used products sites. We've always been sort of threading a narrow path with all the various I/O options. Its too bad that the company with the fruit-with-the-bite-taken-out-of-it logo has basically carried on with its scorched-earth policy of simply dropping support or not offering back-compatibility with many of its products.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:57:35 pm

Thank you very much for your time mister!

There was a thorough answer. It's funny you speak of my platform being of 3-4 years out of date, because 3 1/2 year ago it was brand new. There is something so very sad in all this, and not to mention the evil fruit company that sells us very expensive computers, what is that all about!

Thinking, I might just try to beat together a hacintosh to safe me the penny. Seems like I could get away with around 1000€ for a decent machine. And then probably another 1000€ for a decent monitor and then some for a blackmagic hardware to feed the monitor... and I bet I'm still short on what a new Macintosh laptop alone costs. Any thoughts on that? What monitor and which blackmagic hardware I should get without ruining myself?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 24, 2015 at 7:10:26 pm

[Enginn Heima] "What monitor and which blackmagic hardware I should get without ruining myself?"

You can't go far wrong making your economic decisions based on the BlackMagic Configuration Guide -- which does outline several scenarios for both Windows and Mac platforms. Hackintosh is an adventurous option -- it can be done -- but be prepared to do a lot of online browsing.

Have a good read -- https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve

...and beware that the guide diverges between version 10 and 11, with V11 being more "New"MacPro-oriented. However, there are plenty of tips as to how to use external devices to build around Laptop-class PCs, which are applicable to non-conventional build-outs.

Good luck.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 24, 2015 at 8:23:27 pm

Thanks a lot, I will have a look into this.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:22:10 am

[Joseph Owens] "We've always been sort of threading a narrow path with all the various I/O options. Its too bad that the company with the fruit-with-the-bite-taken-out-of-it logo has basically carried on with its scorched-earth policy of simply dropping support or not offering back-compatibility with many of its products."
Anybody who's been with Apple a long time (as unfortunately I have) will recall that Apple dropped 3.5" floppies before everybody else, they dropped ADB, they dropped ADC, they dropped internal DVD-ROMs, they dropped Motorola processors and embraced Intel, they dropped Firewire... lots and lots of stuff. Many changes over the years that kind of left users in the lurch. In the long run, I understand why these steps were made, but none of them were exactly user-friendly.

Trying to run Resolve 8 today is fraught with problems. Having said that, I wish that BMD would have a section of "Old Versions" on their website to make it easier for people to find documentation and downloads for all of this old software just in case old projects needed to be revived.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:02:24 pm

[Marc Wielage] "I wish that BMD would have a section of "Old Versions" on their website to make it easier for people to find documentation and downloads for all of this old software"

This could be said about more companies...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]