FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X and Davinci Resolve reelname

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Hedegaard
FCP X and Davinci Resolve reelname
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:16:49 am

Hi (double posting - also in Davinci Resolve)

I am trying to understand the way FCP X are treating reelnames, and how I can control it.
I am currently testing workflows for FCP X, so I don't have any current issues - but I am trying to find out the best practice.

In FCP X the reelname for just the clips appears to be correct. i.e Arri Amira have A343R1UG. P2 (the folder above content)
When I make a multicam clip, it doesnt show any reel name. A synced clip (via sync-n-link) keeps it reelname.

When I export an xml and import it in Resolve the XML doesn't contain any reel names - or i doesn't show in Resolve.
It also seems like that the XML always import the clips - even though I ask it not to - like some kind of ghost clips.
I can't i.e. right click and reveal in finder, I can't define clip attributes (I.e. pixel aspect for P2) and the reel name is not to be found.
- however if I load the original clip in the mediepool (with the correct reel name) and change the attributes - it affect the clip that links to the xml-imported clip.

I seems like the links appears as following.
Multicam, synced clips (via sync-n-link) - needs the xml imported media in the mediapool even though the reel is non-existing. - I can't seem to find out how to make it relink to other material.
Other clips (not multicam or synced) links to the original clips in the mediapool and not the ghost media.

Can anyone enlighten me in the way FCP X and Resolve interacts.
FCP X 10.1.4 & Resolve 11

A few screenshots to illustrate
Reel in FCP X

Original media in Davinci

Ghost media in Davinci - XML imported

Thanks

Tina Hedegaard
Technical Supervisor | Editor | Assisting Editor
Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 6.5.4, 7.0.4| Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, CC, CC2014
Mac OS 10.6.8| Mac OS 10.7.4 | Mac OS 10.8.2 | Mac OS 10.9.1

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
Re: FCP X and Davinci Resolve reelname
on Feb 23, 2015 at 12:38:49 pm

Ok-

If you load ALL your media - then import an XML and do not select import media it will use ANY media that matches thats already in the MEDIA POOL to link to your xml timeline

If you load NO media prior to loading XML and select IMPORT media to media pool it will try and link to any media it can find and warn at the end of import what it cannot find.

One reason to not import is a offline proxy workflow.
IE you shoot RAW - Transcode to ProresProxy for the edit. Export an XML. Impoer XML to Resolve with DONT IMPORT selected. Then you load up the raw rushes and it links to those rather than the proresproxy.

There are loads of other options like force conforming and conform from folders.

You could have 2 folders in media pool. All the media imported from XML ProresProxy. and another folder in media pool you manually imported RAW into.

you can then conform from the RAW folder rather than the one containing Prores.

--

The ghost clips as you call them are clips that are in the timeline but have no media for them in the MEDIA POOL

--
you say
- however if I load the original clip in the mediepool (with the correct reel name) and change the attributes - it affect the clip that links to the xml-imported clip.

If you then load a clip that is used in the xml timeline loaded with DONT IMPORT into the media pool it will automatically link to that imported media.

REEL Names seem not to come across with a FCPX XML but I have never really had linking issues.
When in FCPX are the reel names in the metadata then ? If not then they won't be exported.

S

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
Re: FCP X and Davinci Resolve reelname
on Feb 23, 2015 at 2:18:54 pm

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply.

So I digged a little bit.
The reason the "ghostclips" came was actually due to attached audio.

Before I did load my media into the mediapool before importing the xml, but because Resolve couldn't find the audio it created these ghost clip.

So I detached the audio and removed in from my timeline i FCPX before exporting the xml (as I would normally do in any other NLE) and everything link perfectly - and the reelnames where correct.

Thanks

Tina Hedegaard
Technical Supervisor | Editor | Assisting Editor
Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 6.5.4, 7.0.4| Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, CC, CC2014
Mac OS 10.6.8| Mac OS 10.7.4 | Mac OS 10.8.2 | Mac OS 10.9.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]