FORUMS: list search recent posts

titel alpha channel "ghost" image

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Halm
titel alpha channel "ghost" image
on Feb 21, 2015 at 2:51:10 pm

hard to explaine:

in resolve i rebuilt the parts, which contain titels in my avid timeline. from avid i export the titels (only) as QT DnxHD including alpha channel.

in resolve i manually place the titels above the video, then add the matte and the alpha output. everything works fine so far. but:

in this case the underlaying video layer is a color BG image with a dissolve. during the dissolve of the color BG (no difference wether its a JPG or a rendered MOV) i see a slight shaddow of the upcoming titel above. but i see parts, that are not supposed to be there yet! then this "ghost-shaddow" fades out 7 frames after the crossdissolve for 2 frames, and now my titel fades in normally.
the titel itself contains a fade in, which is already rendered in the title.

thanks for your help

iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.8.5
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 11.1
Avid MC 8

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: titel alpha channel "ghost" image
on Feb 22, 2015 at 5:18:31 am

[Martin Halm] "the titel itself contains a fade in, which is already rendered in the title. "
In my opinion, you're better off not rendering the fade-in in the graphic, because this will affect the key clipping. I think it makes more sense to create the transition (fade-in, fade-out, wipe, whatever) in Resolve, or just export the sequence as a flattened file and do the title in your original editing or VFX application.

Return to posts index

Martin Halm
on Feb 22, 2015 at 7:46:28 am

hi marc,

i agree, normally i will be better of doing the titles with the flattened file in my NLE. in this case i wanted to go with as less generations as possible. and fades i also usually do in resolve. but here the titles are built in titler pro 3 with baked in dissolves with the time elastic feature. comes in extremely handy when changing titles over and over again due to producers wishes :-)

cheers

OSX 10.8.5
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 11.1
Avid MC 8

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:58:45 pm

i posted an odd behaviour of davinci concerning embedding graphics with alpha channel a couple
of posts ago, sadly noone tried it out on their machines with the tiff i provided yet :(

but another question: since when avid can export a proper alpha channel? last time i checked i wasn't
able to do so. how did you do it?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:27:42 am

I did try it, you are right, i took screenshots, i will counter check in Smoke and Nuke as soon as i find time, but hey, weekend and such ;)

Regarding AVID, it can if you supply a PNG with unpremultiplied FG
http://www.spherevfx.com/written-training/miscellaneous-written-training/un...

It's a PITA these things are still a problem in 2015, but hey, at least they can not replace us with trained monkeys just yet ..

Resolve 11.2 - Smoke 2015 EXT1SP2 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber
https://dk.linkedin.com/in/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Feb 23, 2015 at 8:56:19 pm

thx for the link! very informative :)

Return to posts index

Martin Halm
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:47:59 pm

well, i just exported as DNxHD and in the compressor settings i choose Alpha: uncompressed and the according resolution (in my case 1080p/25 DNxHD)

i was just working with titles coming from titler pro 3 either on solid background or on video. i did not encounter any trouble with the alpha channel this way.

OSX 10.8.5
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 11.1
Avid MC 8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]