FORUMS: list search recent posts

Potential problems with TC and conforming???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carolyn Colton
Potential problems with TC and conforming???
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:48:35 pm

Hi,

I'm currently editing a feature film and am transitioning between FCP7 and Premiere CC. We recently completed a teaser and wanted to use this as a time to see if there were any problems that could potentially arise in the conform, etc.

The problems I experienced while trying to "fix" the teaser I am now experiencing on small scene tests from our rough edit.

My workflow/process:

Export FCP7 XML --> Import XML into Premiere Pro (no problems on this end of the workflow). This XML contains all of the transcoded media which I use to edit the film, (everything was shot raw on the alexa and red epic, but I use transcoded prores422 LT files while editing - which was set up by our DIT).

Now if I try and bring in either the XML or the Premiere XML with the transcoded media into Davinci - I am unable to conform several of the transcoded clips to the RAW files, (whether they be alexa pro res, alexa .ari files, or r3d files). I am prompted by Davinci that "The clip ###### failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clips in the media pool." This happens for three clips.

If I go and check the metadata between the RAW files and the transcoded media, I notice two things- a) that the reel name failed to be imbedded in the transcodes and 2) that the TC are different.

Now, the TC are different in numbers, but the durations are correct. I have read that that does not matter, and that the numbers need to be identical? but what confuses me is that in the majority of the transcoded media this appears to be the case, however why does davinci only have trouble relinking some of the clips?

Also, unlike the RED, the Alexa does not have absolute and edge TC it only appears to have what is called the Master TC, so as far as setting the correct TC settings in Davinci, (i.e. making sure Davinci decodes the files using the correct TC) I'm not sure what to do.

To complicate things further - If I chose to conform the project in Premiere BEFORE going to Davinci, then Davinci has absolutely ZERO problems. Also in Premiere I have not yet experienced a single conform issue. Premiere correctly selects the TC media start/end time of the desired clip.

I need to resolve this issue ASAP before I continue moving forward with this edit. Has anyone else experienced this issue before and could potentially shed light on this issue for me?

Thanks much - happy to provide more info if needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]