FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Resolve Not Store a Record of Stabilisation "Strong" and "Smooth" Settings?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Can Resolve Not Store a Record of Stabilisation "Strong" and "Smooth" Settings?
on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:23:45 pm

This is rather troublesome. I spent absolutely forever trying to figure out the proper balance of "Strong" and "Smooth" settings to make my smoothing of a shot not look like a jello-cam mess and then I moved onto another shot and changed settings. When I came back to the original shot for some subtle tweaking, the strong and smooth settings read as being exactly the same as those I changed the other shot to. So, one has no idea how to tweak the original shot if necessary. Am I wrong about this? If this is just how it is, it really should be changed. I think the shot "smoothing" controls need to be improved upon. Smoothcam in FCP and warp stabiliser in Premiere are actually more advanced, it seems - when it comes to shot smoothing. Strange, considering how mind-blowingly good Resolve's tracker is.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Can Resolve Not Store a Record of Stabilisation "Strong" and "Smooth" Settings?
on Jan 29, 2015 at 10:08:28 am

Hi Scott,

sounds like you are using multiple instances of the same clip instead of a localised version.
Did you try to change the grading and notice it also changes that for the other clip ?
And if so, did you spend some time reading the manual or watching one of the excellent fxPHD courses available ?
In every post you make you are complaining about processes you actually seem to mix up with the way other software is handling things.
I understand Resolve may seem a little different coming from Adobe but it might be worth opening up to the way Resolve does things.
And yes, I also tend to go back to MochaPro or Smoke for some more compositing like operations but only if i need to.
Most of the time i find the Resolve tool much more speedy and interactive.

Cheers
Sascha

A slice of color...

Resolve 11.1.2 - Smoke 2015 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
Re: Can Resolve Not Store a Record of Stabilisation "Strong" and "Smooth" Settings?
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:04:31 am

Hi Sasha,

There would be multiple instances of the same shot because it's a documentary with long takes, but each clip is kept track of separately by Resolve (originally an AAF from Avid). All my grading is on a clip by clip basis - changing one grade affects no other clip. However stabilisation has nothing to do with the grade and the Strong and Smooth settings don't update on clips/shots that are obviously different.

Are you are saying that Resolve DOES store stabilisation strong and smooth settings? That's really what I'm asking. If so, that's great and I would love to know how that works.

I took Alexis Van Hurkman's excellent 14 hour Ripple Training and read all about stabilising in the manual, but those things didn't address this issue.

I like Resolve a lot and think it's a great tool, but do think it has problems and do get frustrated - so, you'll have to excuse me expressing this, but that's how Black Magic will learn what users find troublesome with the product. Obviously, I'm looking for workarounds and am keen to get the most out of the program.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:52:16 pm

Well, whenever I do stabilisation on shots , i make a copy of the shot to a new layer.
Then I add a black out mask to hide the areas it should not use for tracking.
Kinda like faking a region of interest.
Then I render this to a new compound clip.
After that I am stabilising the shot and play with Strength and Smoothness until it looks decent.
Then I copy this tracking info to the source layer and thats basically it.
On a new shot I would go through the same process with different settings.
I do not know if I understood your question correctly, but I never had settings jumping to other shots if they have been dedicated local versions.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Jan 30, 2015 at 2:31:33 pm

What I was saying was that Resolve may store my stabilisation data, but it does not store a record of the numbers I entered into the strong and smooth controls. So, if I finish working on a stabilisation and have entered 75 for strong and 10 for smooth, and then I go work on stabilising a shot and enter 100 strong and 0 smooth, when I go back to tweak the first shot I was working on, the strong and smooth numbers will be 100 and 0. So I have to start fiddling around with the numbers all over again, trying to figure out the perfect balance. If I forgot what the numbers were, I could actually make the shot worse, rather than tweaking it. This is what I mean by not storing strong and smooth settings. I would love to be wrong about this and have someone tell me Resolve does store a record of these settings.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 31, 2015 at 2:14:27 pm

Ohhhhhhh......noooow i get it :)

Nope, that is a aim-fire-forget setting...
It is actually been executed as soon as you press the button.
I agree if this could be an interactive setting it would be very helpful.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]