FORUMS: list search recent posts

wacom for grading and editing

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Wood
wacom for grading and editing
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:28:07 pm

Hey guys,

looking for some expertise on using a pen tablet for grading in resolve and for also using within premiere pro and after effects.

I currently use a mouse and occasionally a small wacom bamboo tablet. However i have 27inch 5k iMac set up with another apple 27inch cinema display.

I'm wanting to use a tablet more to reduce strain and improve speed and efficiency when working and my current wacom tablet is not fit for the job. So I'm looking at the intros pro medium and large tablets. would the medium be bigger enough to cope with my large displays or would a large tablet be the more sensible option? I'm also concerned that if i go for a large tablet it may seem to big and sluggish navigating my cursor around?

Just looking for some honest experiences to help me choose...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: wacom for grading and editing
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:15:15 pm

I use a Wacom Intuos3 for control point manipulation (stickhandling Power Windows shapes) but never used anything but control panels for grade work (Elements, at the moment). Its big enough to give a nice hand-to-eye correspondence with a larger GUI.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:27:34 pm

Same Wacom Intuos 440 for clicking but Elements for grading...
You just can not work properly with either a mouse or the stylus alone.
With Scratch, yes you can, because the whole screen acts as a color ball, but the small Resolve balls, not really.
There is an App from Tangent worth checking out if you have an iPad.
It's virtual and not even cheap, but still better than looking down, click on it, looking up, moving it, looking down again, clicking the other circle and so on.
That is maybe enough to find out how Resolve work, but not cool for work.
So...Tangent App , Wave, Elements, The Big one...that are the options

A slice of color...

Resolve 11.1.2 - Smoke 2015 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 9, 2015 at 4:28:49 pm

Using only Element trackballs for grading would be a lot more practical if the Offset control was mapped to one of them. And contrast to another. I agree with another poster who mentioned that Scratch allows a lot of that kind of thing because it includes a custom mapping function. I'm not comparing the two, but at this point in time it's clear that a lot of Resolve users are using and will continue to use third party panels, particularly the Element set. Custom mapping is something that would go a long way towards making those panels more useful and efficient.

Return to posts index

Lewis Wood
on Mar 18, 2015 at 9:46:53 am

I did end up purchasing the medium intros pro tablet. have to say its a fantastic tool, especially with resolve. I rarely touch my mouse now when grading.

I will look into a control surface soon when i justify the cost. I hear the jl cooper eclipse is a brilliant piece of kit, and a better build than the tangent wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]