FORUMS: list search recent posts

Groups behavior in Resolve 11

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Curtis
Groups behavior in Resolve 11
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:22:02 am

Hello,

I want all of my grades to ripple like they did in previous versions of Resolve.

However when I add a new clip to my group I get the green link icon, but nothings happens to the new clip's grade, even if I have group pre-clip selected.

It seems the only way I can get things to work as they use to is to group all of the clips together first, which isn't always doable when you have multiple sequences in a project.

Am I missing something here or is their another way to achieve what I want?

Thanks!

Gerry

http://www.digitalkilnstudios.com
http://www.savasanafilm.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Groups behavior in Resolve 11
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:10:16 pm

[Gerry Curtis] "I want all of my grades to ripple like they did in previous versions of Resolve."

Are you referring to the "Use Remote Grades" strategy of radiating Master clip grades to all instances of the same source clip on all timelines?

Groups work differently now in Resolve eleven.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Gerry Curtis
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:25:18 am

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't realize that when you add a new clip to a group you need to switch the new clip to "group pre-clip" or the group grade won't show in the new clip.

http://www.digitalkilnstudios.com
http://www.savasanafilm.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:59:55 pm

Its a bit of a re-model to wrap one's head around how the group "levels" of nodes are applied -- almost as if there are three color correctors at work. It is equally true that the *overall* grade exists in three parts and each are stored separately and need to be applied one at a time to accomplish a "copy" to some other clip that might be part of the group, but might benefit from some part of the grade. At the same time, preserving the independence of each individual within the family allows for more flexibility for scene-matching within the group.

In telecine days, we had a certain amount of access to this approach because we could think of the telecine device and the control/grade system as two corrections. The Cintel URSA had a built-in correction system that was directly accessible by daVinci (in fact as I recall, there was a version called a "Leo" that only controlled the telecine and had no correction capability itself) that you could do a PEC-match (like a pre-amplifier balance) which could be passed forward to the daVinci color correction system itself -- so if you were working with a "look", you could keep it, in a similar way to a "post-clip" correction, while tweaking the values coming off the film directly from the telecine -- like the "pre" or "clip" layer, filter, whatever so to speak. I know that's not what it's really called.

jPo

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:03:00 am

[Joseph Owens] "The Cintel URSA had a built-in correction system that was directly accessible by daVinci (in fact as I recall, there was a version called a "Leo" that only controlled the telecine and had no correction capability itself) that you could do a PEC-match (like a pre-amplifier balance) which could be passed forward to the daVinci color correction system itself..."
I never used a daVinci Classic with a Rank -- only tape-to-tape -- but I did use Topsy, Amigo, Dubner, Arcas, and several other telecine correctors. It was extremely helpful when we were finally able to control the PEC's (photoelectric cells), which were essentially the "front end" of the telecine. My memory is that this really started with Rank's ARCAS color-corrector.

The same principles still apply today: balance the signal early in the processing chain, and apply successive layers (nodes) of processing that add or subtract to the image in a logical, predictable way. In general, when I use grouping, I wind up using Post-Grade most often in a sequence. For example, if a client says, "I like the scene, but it needs to be darker and more green), I can do that in about five seconds. As long as the scene already matches, the Post-Grade correction should "in theory" apply in a uniform way. (Except on the occasions when it doesn't.) Pre-Grade is more unpredictable but useful in some applications, like when you haven't done any correction yet and want to apply a LUT or initial "balance" correction.

I agree, it does take a while to get your head wrapped around Groups, Pre-Grade, Clip Grade, and Post-Grade, but it's much, much more convenient than a global change.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 29, 2015 at 7:23:56 pm

[Marc Wielage] "much more convenient than a global change."

Or crossing your fingers with a "relative" or "absolute" correction ripple.

jPo

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 30, 2015 at 5:38:20 am

[Joseph Owens] "Or crossing your fingers with a "relative" or "absolute" correction ripple."

And with the dreaded NO UNDO. There's a lot of things I don't miss about the daVinci 2K, and that's at the top of my list.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]