FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve playing either too fast or too slow?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Resolve playing either too fast or too slow?
on Jan 20, 2015 at 11:25:07 pm
Last Edited By Scott Clements on Jan 20, 2015 at 11:26:39 pm

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Resolve playing ProRes HQ 1080p 25 footage both too fast and too slow. It's very slow in the "Edit" pane and plays double speed in the "Color" pane. I know there are people who will tell me I have no business trying to run Resolve on an Early 2011 macbook pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB of Ram, but I'm really surprised the playback is sooo crazy. I was expecting a little sluggishness, but the sort I could live with. Also, I haven't heard anyone compaining of Resolve running too fast. Does anyone know what might be going on? Also, does anyone have any experience with Speedgrade? I'm wondering if that would be more stable for me on my computer.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Resolve playing either too fast or too slow?
on Jan 21, 2015 at 10:08:00 am

It is because you are lacking a proper monitoring solution.
I have the same problem when Smoke is open and took control over the Decklink card.
If you are looking for even a little professional use, get yourself a mini monitor.
Also the MacBook screen is just terrible for this kind of work...
And yes, it's old too :)
A four year old laptop...i mean, what are you trying to achieve here ?
Checking camera files ? thats the only thing I could imagine it for.
The Edit page is not optimised for playback either...I would suggest to use Final Cut Pro instead.
Speedgrade also has been optimised (like any other proper grading tool) to run DPX/Cin files from a proper Raid.

A slice of color...

Resolve 11.1.2 - Smoke 2015 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Jan 21, 2015 at 10:42:26 am

Thanks, Sascha.

You were right about the monitor. When I hooked up my dreamcolor, via mini monitor, the image started playing at a reasonably okay speed - more the sort of thing I'd expect. For some reason, on the laptop alone the image plays at very weird speeds and the external monitor brings it under control. I'm not sure why NLEs can play footage at proper speed but compositing programs, like After Effects and some grading programs, like this can't. Is it that it's too expensive to program them to have this functionality? Having to buy a new $4000 lap top every couple years is crazy.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:05:32 pm

Well...there a professional compositing programs like Smoke, Nuke Studio and such wich ARE capable of playing back and also use disk cache for performance efficiency .
After Effects is not on that list imho.
It can do nothing without all the plugins and i reach it's limit quite soon when working on complex shots.
Nuke or Fusion are waaaaay better when it comes to that, but no, they also do not playback nicely.

But one thing...if you have a mini-monitor you should have installed Media Express too.
This is my go-to app for pure playback purposes...this an Final Cut X.
And of course VLC...

I tend to use a creative tool like Resolve only if I want to change thing, not for playback.
And the performance in the edit and media pool page always have been very poor.
But once loaded into the Color Page i always have great performance....on the video output that is.
I think it is in BMDs best interest to provide playback performance using their hardware, wouldn't you agree ?

A slice of color...

Resolve 11.1.2 - Smoke 2015 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]