Avid to Resolve Stills Workflow?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Avid to Resolve Stills Workflow?
on Jan 20, 2015 at 10:37:25 am
Last Edited By Scott Clements on Jan 20, 2015 at 10:42:52 am

Hi,

I am working on a documentary, edited in Avid and graded in Resolve. There are many stills with simple animations created in Avid FX. I did the animations in Avid FX to preserve image quality at a time when I thought I might be finishing in Avid. The only alternatives seemed to be resizing the baked in Avid Media Files that are created when you import stills into Avid - and using the Avid Pan & Zoom effect, that was supposed to work in theory, but instead created blurry images due to a bug of some sort.

So, I'm now faced with getting the stills (with animations) into Resolve. What is the best method going forward? Should I just render all the Avid FX clips in the Avid timeline? How do others deal with stills in Avid that they plan on taking to Resolve?

I must say that the way Avid deals with stills drives me nuts. If I were working in Premiere, I could just link to the original jpegs, do the animations and then that info would move across to Resolve.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Avid to Resolve Stills Workflow?
on Jan 21, 2015 at 7:03:09 pm

[Scott Clements] "I must say that the way Avid deals with stills drives me nuts."

Ed Grimley would certainly agree, with you, I must say...

yeah, this is kind of a problem.... baking-in the KenBurns PTRZ moves to make a self-contained mov is an approach -- you will never have to do them again, and its not really a big quality compromise. The other approach is to do them all over again, trying to reconform everything in Resolve, which will deal reasonably well with some kinds of still files. I use pngs a lot. But the issue remains that the geometry algorithms used by the different NLEs don't really translate all that well.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
Re: Avid to Resolve Stills Workflow?
on Jan 21, 2015 at 9:03:06 pm

Thanks for your opinion, Joseph. Didn't realise I sounded like Ed Grimley!:-)

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]