FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony LMD-2110W 21.5" Professional LCD Monitor - How good or bad is it?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caio Simbula
Sony LMD-2110W 21.5" Professional LCD Monitor - How good or bad is it?
on Jan 12, 2015 at 4:34:37 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for an entry-level HD broadcast monitor for color grading on my home system. I'm running a MacPro 8-core with 32GB RAM and a BlackMagic Intensity Card.

Currently I downconvert the HD signal to SD and monitor on a Sony PVM-20m2u. I check the calibration everytime I use it with color bars in blue-only mode. It pretty much works out decent for color grading, but something I don't notice at SD resolution is when the picture breaks up if I grade it too far, especially with DSLR footage or any compressed codec.

So my question is, has anyone used the Sony LMD-2110W 21.5" LCD monitor? What was your experience with it? I know it's a sub-$1000 monitor, someday I will get an FSI or some decent JVC/Panasonic/Sony broadcast monitor. My question is will the cheapie (yet actual broadcast monitor) be worthwhile to upgrade to from my SD monitor? Or is the LMD-2110W so bad, that I should just stick with my current SD solution and save up for a better monitor?

I also don't want to deal with using computer monitors and any weird workarounds, I want a normal broadcast monitor that has blue-only functions and uses actual Rec.709 space, none of this HP/Eizo/whatever solutions. Thanks for any suggestions.

caioFILM
caiofilm@mac.com
http://web.mac.com/caiofilm

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Sony LMD-2110W 21.5" Professional LCD Monitor - How good or bad is it?
on Jan 13, 2015 at 8:21:12 pm

[Caio Simbula] "I also don't want to deal with using computer monitors and any weird workarounds, I want a normal broadcast monitor that has blue-only functions"

That is a good, pragmatic approach. The issue I have with setting up a display with blue-only is that it only gives a "corners of the envelope" setup, and doesn't really help with the overall color accuracy of a monitor's total gamut fidelity. "Blue-only" was developed to set hue and saturation for baseband composite video, when there was a real "phase" component that was relevant. In digital component, it is practically meaningless.

The investment in a probe and calibration software would put you well in the ballpark and still a bit less expensive than a full-up reference monitor -- and you would also find out what the deficiencies are with your own solution, for good or ill.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]