FORUMS: list search recent posts

JLCooper Eclipse vs Tangent Elements in Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Arnold
JLCooper Eclipse vs Tangent Elements in Resolve
on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:17:00 pm

I have a JLCooper Eclipse control surface that I've been using for quite a while in Resolve. Mostly I like it, but a few of the knobs are a little sticky and I sometimes dream of upgrading, but to what? The Elements looks attractive, but I've seen lots of complaints about the mapping. Is there anyone out there who has used both the Eclipse and the Elements in Resolve and wants to share their experiences? Are there any other sub-$5000 surfaces I should consider?

Thanks!
Robert

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: JLCooper Eclipse vs Tangent Elements in Resolve
on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:30:12 pm

Compare the Tangent Wave to Avid Artist Color before you buy, many prefer the Avid control surface because it is better built, with fewer plastic parts and more metal.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Patrick Morgan
on Jan 5, 2015 at 9:38:07 pm

Artist colour...

Small buttons (too small) and not enough of them, the rings and balls aren't very nice to work with, the rings are almost flush with the surface of the controller and the balls are easy to hit by accident when working with the rings

Ethernet connectivity is a real pain.

And the balls fall out when you turn it over.
I would spend a day with it if you could

My opinion.

Patrick

Patrick Morgan
Product Marketing Manager
http://www.digitalvision.tv

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jan 6, 2015 at 6:57:27 am

I have seen and some are reporting delay with MC.

So you should be aware of this.

Mostly it is due the machine configuration or something like that but just for you to know.
I have had that on a session and it is really annoying.

There is new small panel getting to the market but really small in a sense of direct command buttons.
Resolve supports it.

OxygenTec ProPanel

Not many seen but some users have it and we soon get the reports.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Resolve 11
BMC 2,5k

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jan 6, 2015 at 8:55:04 am

I can only say that the Element is the nicest <10.000 panel i used extensively in production.
If I would be on a super small budget I would only get the BK part and never again a Wave.
The buttons are sooo limited on the wave that you spent an extensive part of your time navigating menues and such loses its value.
Not to mention the FisherPrice look and feel.
The Artist Panel features this very flaky (for some) ethernet connection and the Chinese one is vapour ware at this point.
With the Element you can open a car door, the rings are as smooth as on a Blackboard, the balls are easy to maintain.
I am not using my TS panel much, buttons and potis are useful but not mandatory.
So start with the BK, and add either the transport or the two small ones at will.

A slice of color...

Resolve 11.1.2 - Smoke 2015 - Sapphire 8
Colorist / VFX Guru / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jan 6, 2015 at 9:56:04 am

About Vapour ware

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/oxygentec-propanel.3837/pa...

Its is getting slowly here but sure Elements panels have option to add
other components.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Resolve 11
BMC 2,5k

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:14:34 pm

[Sascha Haber] "I can only say that the Element is the nicest <10.000 panel i used extensively in production.
If I would be on a super small budget I would only get the BK part and never again a Wave."

This is a fairly honest evaluation. A WAVE is a bit like just having the BK component of an Element set. Having both, my quibble is that the button layout is completely different between the two of them. There is a personal preference difference in that the Element has the ball-within-the-ring layout while the Wave is balls-over-rings. If you can play a piano or other two-handed musical instrument, the overall responsiveness of the integrated system can be more symbiotic with the grading application. Set up the overall sensitivity to your hand-eye coordination taste. I have a default setting of around "80" for the Element at the moment, which seems to move the colors around on the output screen (never look at the three-way panel) by about the amount that my hand moves (might be a trained-reflex response) but it feels right.

As far as menu navigation goes, everyone will have their own prejudices about access priority, and this is where the frustration sets in with no ability to evolve a preferred menu hierarchy. I would really like Primaries and Window menus right on top, but find myself constantly switching and using a blend of keyboard shortcuts and up/down/sideways A/B calls... wherever my controlling hands are closest to the relevant controls and what the call-up reflex is... and for my next trick I will be juggling a running chainsaw, a lit candle and a 10-pin bowling ball.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]