FORUMS: list search recent posts

HP pavilion monitor for color grading

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anand kamal
HP pavilion monitor for color grading
on Dec 25, 2014 at 2:53:46 am
Last Edited By anand kamal on Dec 25, 2014 at 2:57:17 am

hi friends.. I am having HP pavilion 22fi IPS-LED backlit monitor. FUll HD, default color temp, 6500K, colour gamut: 72% ntsc. my footage is 1920X1080... Independent feature film intended for theatrical release..

How good is the monitor for color grading using Davinci Resolve?
just need to calibrate?
or
is the monitor not fit enough for grading? thanks

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: HP pavilion monitor for color grading
on Dec 27, 2014 at 10:24:09 am

No, I don't think a computer display will work for color-correcting a theatrical feature. You need a monitor specifically designed for grading.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Dec 29, 2014 at 10:01:34 am

If you say it is 7x% of ntsc which is much less compared to cinema P3
then you have your answer already there. It can not do it.

Also consider how you would have your calibration stored.
Eizo CG series "computer" monitors can store 3d lut for that in the monitor
so it is not dependent on computer or image path (hdmi or display port)

This is the cheap way of grading on Eizo CG model or FSI 17" grade one monitor (sdii on fsi).

I would get 24" myself.

Common entry level practice is to get 99% accuracy REC709 calibrated monitoring that you use
and later in DCP conversion pass you get proper P3 result as it is mathematically converted to be exact.

Please note that you need to calibrate properly. Lets say you rent LigthSpace for 3 days
and get a proper probe for that also rented or hire someone that can do it for you.

All the internal probes, semi pro (print calibration tools may not be adequate) are not giving you the results.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Resolve 11
BMC 2,5k

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 29, 2014 at 5:44:47 pm

If only a theatrical audience or broadcast viewership could vote with buying tickets or some other mechanism, similar to the passengers getting on some kind of commercial service on which they might possibly perish if the operators were so completely intent on shortcutting the service.

If an editor (or pilot) is so strapped as to not be able to provide a calibrated monitor (capable aircraft) (and no external scope, working ones cost more) and so "eyeball" the whole process, no airline in the world would ever get to their destination. Yes, Cessnas can and do get some people from short hop point "A" to point "B", but I wouldn't try to establish an IFR commercial service with one. Its the same thing.

The short, sweet, simple, open-and-closed story regarding graphics displays is that they are not, and are not intended to be used as motion picture reference monitors. But no manufacturer is going to put a label on them that says 'you can't do this.' Bad for sales. They will even hang a tag on the thing that says it is so-much percent of broadcast color space (when what is required is 100%) but the not-the-whole-story justification for even that is in reality just how close the corner values are to the extreme values of the tristimulus boundaries. What is going on inside the triangle is a whole other can of worms -- and the average consumer-grade display simply cannot hack the overall grey-scale conformity required. At least not within the price point. That is the difference. White balance -- simple. Gamma conformity? Within a few per cent. Black point -- debatable. Grey scale neutrality overall the entire range -- not achievable without an external LUT, and you may as well spend the money on a decent monitor as the investment it will take to achieve the work-around. Its that simple.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 1, 2015 at 5:02:30 pm

Well said.

I can hardly wait for the next "new topic" with the headline.

"can I use this as a grading monitor?"

We seem to get one of those a week.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]