FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Sync Issues

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry Trest
Audio Sync Issues
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:41:02 am

I've read several posts here on audio sync with various hardware configurations but can't seem to figure out what is going on with my particular setup.

I have a FSI CM170 in the edit bay connected via HD-SDI as well as a Panasonic plasma connected via HDMI.

My dual boot system includes Avid Media Composer with Nitris DX on one partition and Adobe Premiere Pro/Davinci Resolve with BM DeckLink SDI on the other partition.

My issue is this:

When working on the Avid partition (Nitris DX), picture and sound are in sync on the Panasonic but out of sync on the FSI.

When working on the Adobe/Davinci partition (DeckLink SDI), picture and sound are in sync on both the Panny and FSI regardless of which software I am working with.

Can anyone explain why the audio and video arrive in sync on both monitors with Adobe/Davinci/DeckLink but not with Media Composer/Nitris DX?

Thanks in advance.

Perry Trest
POSTDIGITAL, Inc.
http://www.perrytrest.com

OS 10.9.4
Davinci Resolve 11.1 Licensed
MacPro 12core 3.33Ghz (2010)
32GB RAM
Slot 1 = GTX780 6GB GUI
Slot 2 = Cubix Xpander
Slot 3 = DeckLink SDI
Slot 4 = Nitris DX
Cubix Xpander = GTX780 6GB GPU + Caldigit eSata/USB3
Internal 6TB soft RAID-0
Euphonix Artist Color
Flanders Scientific CM170

Davinci Resolve 11 Lite
iMac 27" 2.7GHz Quadcore i5
20GB RAM
Blackmagic Mini Monitor

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Audio Sync Issues
on Dec 15, 2014 at 5:33:01 pm

[Perry Trest] "Can anyone explain why the audio and video arrive in sync on both monitors with Adobe/Davinci/DeckLink but not with Media Composer/Nitris DX?"

Is there a latency offset (#of frames) in the Media Composer output configuration? In Final Cut Pro, the default offset is 4 frames, which you have to set to either 0 or 1 depending on your master monitor's latency.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Perry Trest
on Dec 15, 2014 at 5:59:12 pm

Thank you for the input.

I'm thinking the latency offset in software is to sync the GUI to the external video monitor.
I am wrong about that?

I'm not concerned about the computer monitor and video monitor syncing.
I monitor sync on the external video monitors.

It's that I have two external monitors and when using Media Composer the HDMI feed from Nitris is in sync but the SDI to FSI is out of sync.

The odd thing is that when I'm using Davinci or Premiere, both video monitors are in sync.

Perry Trest
POSTDIGITAL, Inc.
http://www.perrytrest.com

OS 10.9.4
Davinci Resolve 11.1 Licensed
MacPro 12core 3.33Ghz (2010)
32GB RAM
Slot 1 = GTX780 6GB GUI
Slot 2 = Cubix Xpander
Slot 3 = DeckLink SDI
Slot 4 = Nitris DX
Cubix Xpander = GTX780 6GB GPU + Caldigit eSata/USB3
Internal 6TB soft RAID-0
Euphonix Artist Color
Flanders Scientific CM170

Davinci Resolve 11 Lite
iMac 27" 2.7GHz Quadcore i5
20GB RAM
Blackmagic Mini Monitor

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 16, 2014 at 5:38:05 pm

[Perry Trest] "the SDI to FSI is out of sync."

If it is late from the Decklink via SDI, then that sort of points to a software-related latency in handing off the picture to the PCIe card. Resolve (and can't comment on Premiere) has no such adjustment, and really, the latency should be zero. I used to have to reset this in FCP every time there was a point version release in either Desktop video, AJA Control Panel, or Final Cut itself, because those 4 frames would be re-established.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 17, 2014 at 2:24:53 pm

Sounds like an Avid issue then. If Resolve and premiere are always in sync. I don't use a Nitris box, but maybe it isn't capable of handling both outputs at once? Have you tried only 1 output to see it that is in sync? (either sdi or hdmi?)

Might be worth a post on the Avid forum.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]