FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal tracking data exchange ?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Internal tracking data exchange ?
on Dec 1, 2014 at 11:54:05 am

Hi,

i just wanted to follow up on an old request and was wondering if there is any change by now that i am not aware of yet.
Can we use the tracking data Resolve generates for other purposes than moving masks of stabilising an image ?
I am thinking of destabilising (match movement) of another clip on another track for example.
My actual project is a TV-Trailer and people want my overlay some glitter.
But it should track the studio camera.
Do I still need to export every shot to Mocha and go to Smoke for proper work or can we stay in Resolve (without using Boris FX)
Its just....the tracking in Smoke is fast and reliable...so are the blend modes and the masking.
I just can't think of a way right now to match the movements.

Cheers
Sascha

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Internal tracking data exchange ?
on Dec 1, 2014 at 2:40:04 pm

Copy/Paste the track, and set the strength to -100? Not sure if that's what you are looking for though.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:30:26 pm
Last Edited By Sascha Haber on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:40:44 pm

Almost :)

The thing is the stabiliser sometimes produces strange results, lets say when people are moving on a zoom in the camera.
I would like to track a part of the image that contains only the camera move.
So I thought i could make a window, track that, copy its tracking data, switch to Track 2 with the overlay, paste it there into the stabiliser and voila.
But it seems i can only paste window to window and stabi to stabi, right ?
Alternative I could exclude parts of the video when stabilising...a garbage matte.
But I also did not find controls for that.
I even tried to black out parts of the image to only keep the parts visible that should be tracked on.
That workaround works only when the images are rendered as it seems the tracker works before the nodes.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 2, 2014 at 4:37:15 pm

[Sascha Haber] "That workaround works only when the images are rendered as it seems the tracker works before the nodes.
"

I think you are right about that, and for that reason, it does not pay to try to track windows into a clip until you have stabilized it, if you are going to do that --> you would need to re-track after the stabilize.

It would be better if there were a "region of interest" box that could be pre-defined. I have never been able to "add" tracking points (believe that to be a ResolvePanel mode), otherwise most of what I do would turn out to be 3- and 4- pointers. Generally, my approach is to go into interactive mode, let the application create numerous points, and then selectively trash everything that is likely not going to contribute to either my window or overall stability -- ie, actors nodding or flailing around in an epileptic fit. Or helicopter rotors.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:58:03 pm

Currently the only way we to import mocha planar tracking data into Resolve is using Boris FX BCC. Note: it requires is the Corner Pin effect or track effect so, the limited BCC Motion Tracker Unit would work.

For roto-masking, you would need to render.

We'd love to have a Resolve Tracking format to export to, so perhaps it is worth suggesting this as a feature request?

Best,
Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:41:24 am

Hi Ross,

as much as I like my Mocha Pro, the process of exporting , tracking, exporting tracking data and using it is something i am willing to do for a few shots only.
In this case I have like 3 hours for 50 shot.
So what I really would like to see is an OFX pipeline , like the Sapphire Lens designer for example , where a Mocha plugin could live inside Resolve.
Either as a native plug or a hand-off type of system that frees us from the export-import hassle.

Resolve wise, a "region of interest" is exactly what i am talking about, yes.
Blacking out parts of the image with windows, rendering, exporting and importing was my solution yesterday.
But shuffling the order of grading-masking-tracking would free us from that process.
I will make more tests with "Create compound clip"
Maybe that would work.

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:11:17 pm

Hi Sascha,
Thanks for the feedback. Creating a mocha OFX plug-in that could run natively in Resolve is definitely something that we are considering developing in the future. Would love to hear more thoughts from other Resolve users.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:30:54 pm
Last Edited By Sascha Haber on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:31:08 pm

Ross, what about the other way ?
A hand-off function ?
When we look at Resolves way of caching images, that could serve as a base of operations for Mocha, right ?
So maybe the Resolve guys could incorporate a script, a button, a function that creates a sequence , launches Mocha and takes all the configuration from Resolve to setup the tracking session.
Business TV in Germany and myself developed something similar for Assimilate and Fusion years ago.
But then we had access to Python scripting in both apps.
It was a little cumbersome back then but I think things are easier now with Resolves cache function doing the hard part.
If the cached footage can be used for tracking afterwards the tracking data should just be available as copy/paste data in Resolve.

Dreams...are my reality ;)

A slice of color...

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:39:15 pm

It is a nice idea. We do have a "send to mocha" function for Adobe After Effects, Scratch and even a new Python script for Nuke. If you'd like to email me offline about ideas, that would be great. It is not hard to write a script that launches mocha and points it to certain clip.

The issue is accessing the Resolve cached media and it would be cool if this was available as an "outsource" or reference file for 3rd party devs.

We are quite interested in better supporting Resolve, but so far the only option has been OFX and this is not the ideal workflow.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Dec 4, 2014 at 6:03:56 am

On the other hand, finding cached material with Nucoda is VERY easy. Nucoda caches image at the same resolution as DPX and keeps the same name, always in the cache folder under the project name. So, I'd like to suggest this very thing between Nucoda and Mocha. In comparison to Resolve, that would be trivial to do.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:34:02 pm

[Ross Shain] "Would love to hear more thoughts from other Resolve users. "

You know I have been running back and forth between the BMD and Mocha booths at NAB almost every year now since like 2010 trying to figure out which one is the mountain and which one is the Prophet. (Please don't kill me, I didn't say the Prophet's name.)

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]