FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve render problem with new Mac Pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emiliano Mazzola
Davinci Resolve render problem with new Mac Pro
on Nov 25, 2014 at 9:59:14 am

Hello,
we are having strange glitching effects (as shown in attachments) while exporting from DaVinci Resolve.

The project is in 4K.

Maybe it is related to an heating issue? We have seen that it doesn’t manifests if we divide the exporting process into smaller chunks (single shots) but if we export the project all together after a while it comes up (like if it is correlated to the temperature of the graphic card).

Details:
Mac Pro (late 2013)
2,7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
2xAMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 (but it also appeared with 10.9)
DaVinci Resolve 11.1.1.006

What should we do?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
Re: Davinci Resolve render problem with new Mac Pro
on Nov 25, 2014 at 2:06:27 pm

hmm... did you try rendering without the max speed option?

if it is a heat-problem, try those slower renderings and report back!

andy

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:33:38 pm

I had some bad rendering issues (only on one project), but I was constantly given screens similar to yours, as well as "dots" would appear on other rendered frames. When I say dots, I mean it kinda looked like a dead pixel, but it would only appear for a frame or two, and sometimes there would only be 1 or two dots...other times they would be all over the place.

Anyway, the only way I managed to get this thing comfortably rendered, where I thought I had it all correct was to set my render speed to 1 frame a second. This was a 2 min HD project, with plenty of nodes, but Resolve was ripping through it so fast, you couldn't even see some of the issues until I did a playback of the renders.

By slowing it down, It forced resolve to load the frame, then render the frame.

At one point I slowed it to 5 fps, but it still glitched out at some points.

1 fps seemed to work for me. Wouldn't want to do it for a 90 minute feature however.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Emiliano Mazzola
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:43:12 pm

Yes. i have setting 1 frame per second, but i have yet the same problem.

Return to posts index

Patrick Woodard
on Nov 25, 2014 at 10:34:49 pm

All signs point to a bad driver/OpenCL bug. I have same issue. I would voice your concerns to Apple as I have. Hopefully a fix will come in the next OS update.

Patrick Woodard

Colorist
http://www.digitalfilmtree.com
http://www.patwoodard.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Herrick
Re: Davinci Resolve render problem with new Mac Pro FIXED?
on Nov 26, 2014 at 6:29:18 am
Last Edited By Marcus Herrick on Nov 26, 2014 at 11:20:28 pm

I get similar issues after a long render. I think it might be a heat issue. I have found a potential fix I think.

I have "iStat Menus" (http://bjango.com) on my system (so I can have lots of dials on the tool bar). I have found if I use manual fan speed settings to se the Mac Pro system fans to max (1900RPM) I don't get the glitches. The fan speed difference between Apples standard and the Max fan is about 15 degrees on the GPU chips.

Running the fans on max stops the glitches on my renders.

Marcus Herrick
Freelance Editor / Grader

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Nov 29, 2014 at 2:19:50 pm

I get glitches on renders sometimes when the new Mac pro has been on for a while. They look like long thin lines of green or pink, maybe 2 or 3 pixels tall and going across the whole frame. Restarting the machine makes them go away. Very annoying...

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Dec 3, 2014 at 3:52:49 pm

Chris I think you may be dealing with a different issue than others. I believe the thin green and pink lines are the result of a hardware issue, this was much discussed on the BMD forum and both myself and others were able to solve the problem completely by swapping out the machine.

I would suggest replacing the machine.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Gino Amadori
on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:28:49 am

Hi Chriss, I was wondering if you were able to fix the problem you had with the annoying lines, I have been experiencing this problem ever since I got my Mac Pro and dispute all the updates and a change in graphic cards the issue doesn't seem to go away.

Thanks for your help

Gino Amadori

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Sep 21, 2015 at 1:17:01 pm

Hi Gino

We swapped out the machine a couple of weeks ago and so far I haven't had any render problems.
I am also now on OS 10.10.5 and Resolve v12. When Apple tested the old machine, it failed a bunch of tests...

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]