FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving Resolve effects during offline editing

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pradeep Sen
Saving Resolve effects during offline editing
on Nov 24, 2014 at 2:22:34 am

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem when trying to use DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X for offline editing that I suspect is due to a mistake in my workflow. Here's what I want to do:

I captured a video at 2.5k RAW and so I want to do offline editing. I used Resolve to create low-res proxies which I edited in FCPX. I then exported the XML file and read it back in to Resolve, and got a new conformed timeline with my correct edits. Everything looked fine at this point.

I then started to work on the Resolve effects. For example, in some shots I pushed in slightly digitally, did the color grading, etc. Of course, all of these things I want to do in Resolve (not in FCPX) as only Resolve has access to the RAW 2.5k files.

However, later I had to make some changes to the edit, so I re-edited my file in FCPX, exported the xml, and read it back in to DaVinci. To my surprise, all of my edits were gone. Apparently they are bound to the timeline, not to the media pool, so when I reload the new timeline they all go away.

Of course, I could save out every color grade and edit as a STILL for each shot, but I have over 100 shots and this means that every time that I make even a slight tweak to the timeline in FCPX I would have to reapply the effects for each and every shot.

Since this doesn't make sense, I am convinced that something is wrong with my workflow. Is there a way that I should be doing this correctly, so that when the timeline is edited in FCPX I can simply "update" the timeline in DaVinci Resolve and I would still keep all of my color grading/sizing work?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Saving Resolve effects during offline editing
on Nov 24, 2014 at 8:03:37 pm

Checkout Remote vs local grades in the manual. I'm guessing this will get you most of the way to where you want to be.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]