FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exceed Resolve Max Output Resolution for H.264 error

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McKay
Exceed Resolve Max Output Resolution for H.264 error
on Nov 21, 2014 at 10:03:06 am

Hey guys,

For some crazy reason that I can't wrap my head around, I'm getting this error when I select 4k UHD settings (or above) under H.264 when trying to export my RED footage. Previously, someone had said it was because I was using the Lite version of the program - but alas, after paying full price for this program, the error still occurs. Anyone have any solutions or ideas? Strangely, it seems to want to work under the MPEG4 settings, but I would greatly prefer to be able to use H.264, as I am sending the final back into Premiere for some more work.

Error message: Exceed Resolve Max Output Resolution for H.264

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Exceed Resolve Max Output Resolution for H.264 error
on Nov 21, 2014 at 12:16:34 pm

Other formats do not have that ?

Maybe h264 itself limits?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Resolve 11
BMC 2,5k

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 21, 2014 at 6:21:07 pm

I was wondering about this a bit myself... H.265 is apparently almost ready...

but a quick search ( you know, the "type some words and click on search-thing") reveals a couple of thousand hits and even the Microsoft support site states fairly unequivocally that H264 supports up to 2048x2048.

Anything higher will generate a "something went wrong" error message.

I do understand that H264 is nice and compact, but I would question its use as an intermediate edit format, as it is a) processor intensive (because an NLE can interpret it does it mean it is a good idea for editing) and b) Lossy. I mean really lossy. And in UHD or above? Are you previewing your export on a UHD-or-better full-screen display or...?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nathan McKay
on Nov 21, 2014 at 6:50:42 pm

Alright, thanks! So here's the real question: if I'm looking to import my Davinci resolve final back into premiere, what should I use? MPEG4? I'm working with RED footage. I'd prefer something as uncompressed as possible.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 21, 2014 at 7:04:38 pm

I guess that depends on how serious you are about uncompressed. Mpeg4 (and H264) are about as far away from uncompressed as you can get:)

If size isn't an issue ...i don't use premiere, so have no idea how it handles items) you may want to look towards
an uncompressed quicktime. That is about as close to uncompressed as you can get.
An animation quicktime is probably the next best thing.

Also Tiff or dpx sequences, or even DNX or ProRes HQ quicktimes will give very good results.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Nov 22, 2014 at 2:22:20 am

h.264 has varying max resolutions depending on the level. There are certainly levels that can do 4k and higher, as well as 10-bit, etc.

The h.264 encoder in Resolve is, in my mind, pretty useless, because it gives basically no control over level, bitrate, or other parameters which are essential for controlling compatibility, decoding CPU load, and so on. Just output, say, ProRes, and encode with ffmpeg/x264. Resolve can actually read high-bitrate, high-level 10-bit h.264 files (although not very efficiently), but there's no way to encode them.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Nathan McKay
on Nov 23, 2014 at 12:08:43 am

I can't export any ProRes files because I am running Windows (unless I am totally missing something). I am looking to get as uncompressed as possible, so would Quicktime YUV 422 10bit work or RGB 10bit be better? File sizes aren't an issue.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 23, 2014 at 2:44:22 am

[Nathan McKay] "I can't export any ProRes files because I am running Windows (unless I am totally missing something). I am looking to get as uncompressed as possible, so would Quicktime YUV 422 10bit work or RGB 10bit be better? File sizes aren't an issue."
DNxHD 220 or DNxHD 444 looks very good and holds up well for broadcast. If you're going to theaters, then DPX would probably be the best (and lossless) method, but be warned the files are fairly huge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]