FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Drive needed for 2k

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandla Bolekaja
Hard Drive needed for 2k
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:57:43 pm

The colorist is requesting a 2k file of the film to work with.
What size hard drive is needed for a 90m film?

Thanks

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 11
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Hard Drive needed for 2k
on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:25:49 pm

Depends entirely on the source/master codec.

Ninety minutes of "2K" at 23.98fps will occupy approximately:

1.5 Terabytes in Uncompressed 10-bit and will require a transfer rate in the neighbourhood of about 250-270 Mbits/sec. Similar if you export a dpx sequence, although the individual image files in the media folder will be about 10 or 11 MB per frame. Again, all these numbers depend on bit depth (8-, 10-, 12-, 16-) and actual resolution -- "2K" can mean anything from 1998x1080 to 2048x1556.

OR-

About 100 GigaBytes or so in any of the lossless 422 intra codecs like ProRes or DnxHD and about 10% of the transfer rate.

If you export with handles or do not trim the source clips, you will, of course, be exporting much more than 90 minutes worth of material.

If you expect the grade to return as graded media corresponding to the export edit project, then factor in at least 2.5x the storage.

Try to avoid USB unless copying the data is not time sensitive. Otherwise there will a large dent in the schedule devoted to moving the files.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mandla Bolekaja
on Nov 17, 2014 at 9:10:03 pm

Thanks jPo.
Am I asking for trouble, as in very long time to export a 2k timeline for the colorist based on my system specs?

MB
MacPro5,1
2.8 Quad-Core,
24 GB Ram,
Resolve 11
CS6, Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:59:39 pm

I don't know if CS6 has an export workflow similar to Final Cut's "Media Manager" or a Media Composer "Consolidate".

Something to consider might be to create a Resolve project and pass that along to your colorist as a .drp with the new "trim" strategy. See if that person is comfortable with that approach -- there are some advantages to doing that as it does sort of pre-'trouble-shoot' potential problems with re-creating the timeline.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]