FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client review HDMI over internet

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chase
Client review HDMI over internet
on Nov 14, 2014 at 11:06:53 pm

I know this is an old question, but I still need to find a current answer.

I want to stream either my color corrected HDMI output of my black magic card, or Final Cut Pro 7 output over HDMI over the internet, so someone can watch it on their TV or computer system..

This doesn't have to have perfect clarity, but should playback realtime without stuttering.

This may be similar ideas as old school Ichat theater, or Sling box, however Sling only has a analogue input source.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Client review HDMI over internet
on Nov 15, 2014 at 12:01:44 am

Sorry, but that does not compute Eric. Are you saying that you're looking for a streaming device that accepts an HDMI output? If so, that's certainly not what you wrote.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Eric Chase
on Nov 15, 2014 at 1:01:23 am

Perhaps I'll re-explain.

I want a client to review my color session or my FCP session in realtime as I work.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 15, 2014 at 4:31:04 pm

I've discussed this in other posts as well. The best way to do this is to set up a separate encoding station. Having your edit system both playback and encode at the same time is not the way to do it.

The slingbox you mention could be that external encoder, but the setup is a bit more elaborate for the client to access your slingbox account, and yes, you only get analog outputs.

My setup is as follows.

Edit system with HDSDI out feeding an older MacBook pro through a MXO2. It has HDSDI in and out as well as HDMI in and out. The newer version has Thunderbolt as well. Basically any I/o box will work, if your connections go to it, but you need a separate box to do the work. (In my case the MacBook pro)

Within the Mac I run a program (U stream producer pro) to encode and stream the files. That company charges a fee to host your stream. Your client is sent a link or in my case I embed a link onto my website, hidden from everyone else. It all runs very smoothly *** and looks very professional. You can setup (I'm offline right now) screens, and switch between different inputs, including the desktop of your edit box. You can also record the stream for playback later.

I tried the slingbox approach, with some good results and some very poor results. Its pretty embarrassing when it doesn't work.

*** results are ofcourse based on your upload speed and the clients download speed. There is also an inherent delay in whey you hit play, and they see what you are doing. I usually put a TC window on the feed to help us both understand what area we are looking at. I also have a tablet showing me the stream at the same time, so I have a bit of a better idea what they are looking at when they say stop.

Either way, if they say stop, I hit stop, and then backup the timeline by the delay. (maybe 5 seconds) then you have to wait another 5 seconds for their screen to reflect what I've just done.

It takes some practice on my end to try to make it run smoothly, and you always remind them at the start of the session that there is a delay, based on the internet connections.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Chase
on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:47:35 pm

That's incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

Charles Haine
on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:10:47 pm

Some of the houses where I freelance use Tvips to connect SDI over internet to remote clients.

CharlesHaineColorist.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]