FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble Transporting Project File Between Computers

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Krauss
Trouble Transporting Project File Between Computers
on Nov 7, 2014 at 4:09:15 am

Hello,

I'm having a bit of difficult transferring a project file between two different mac computers. I understand that to export a project file as .drp, I open the project in Resolve, go to file --> export, check all boxes, and save the project. Then, I should be able to import the .drp file onto the other computer. I have seen some users saying that Resolve will export a zip file containing the project, others say only a .drp file. For me, it will only export the .drp.

When importing the .drp into Resolve on a different computer, the file contains only the gallery images and none of the sequence or media clips. Furthermore, the .drp file is very small (10mb), so I don't see how this file could contain all of the metadata and information of the original project file in the first place.

I am confused because I don't see any other options when attempting to export the project file, and I haven't seen any other users posting about this same problem... can anybody think of what I might be missing? Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Trouble Transporting Project File Between Computers
on Nov 7, 2014 at 6:00:15 am
Last Edited By Juan Salvo on Nov 7, 2014 at 6:00:36 am

As far as bringing the media, you're on your own. Same as you would be in an NLE or a compositing program. The project is your work, not the media it's done on.

Return to posts index

Nathan Krauss
on Nov 7, 2014 at 7:57:15 pm

That makes sense. I saw posts from other users saying their .drp files were huge, as if it included all the media. That's where I was confused.

I have all of the media from the original project, but I am still unsure how to connect this now to the copy of the project file when opening it in Resolve. Where can I find the sequence with all of the metadata?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:16:19 am

[Nathan Krauss] "That makes sense. I saw posts from other users saying their .drp files were huge, as if it included all the media. That's where I was confused. "

I have had .DRP session files that were well over 500MB, particularly if I exported all the stills with it (which I usually do when I'm going to continue the session on a different system). The media does have to be transported and relinked, but other than that it can work well, provided both systems are running the same software version. The stills will at least confirm that the color hasn't changed.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:03:00 pm

[Nathan Krauss] "When importing the .drp into Resolve on a different computer, the file contains only the gallery images and none of the sequence or media clips."

When I see the project does not contain a sequence, it may mean that you are not actually looking at your imported project -- you are still probably in the "untitled" default project -- check your home project directory to see if there are any recent additions.

As far as media is concerned, Juan is correct that you still need to transport the source clips and probably relink to them as well.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Blake Hodges
on Sep 25, 2016 at 11:30:57 pm

Bingo! Joseph's reply was the solution for me.

I was trying to import a .DRP - which I exported from a project in Resolve 12 "Lite" - into Resolve Studio, but nothing was happening once I selected File>Import>.DPR. Very confusing and frustrating that it wouldn't simply open the project I'd just imported.

The solution was to go back "out" to the Home Screen. Viola, the project was in the library waiting for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]