FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve reading mysterious timecode

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Nairn
Resolve reading mysterious timecode
on Nov 6, 2014 at 11:35:20 pm

Here’s the workflow, I’m cutting fast turn around short form tvcs and need to send them off to grade.

Sometimes coming from TBs of rushes, I want to use the new Premiere Pro project manager in 2014.1 to transcode to cineform media with handles on each clip because there is invariably client editorial changes in online.

I transfer to the colour grader via ftp 2GB of media managed clips in 20-30 minutes rather hard drives of rushes via courier etc. etc. etc.

Everything works great except for one problem. The TC that resolve reads on those media managed clips is wrong. There is consistent timecode between the media managed clips in premiere and the edl used by the grader to conform the edit, the same correct timecode is also read on those same clips in QT7 and FCP7 (just checking the TC those two other applications).

But in resolve the timecode is offset by a random amount on each clip. First frame for clip one in the edl is asking for 10:13:59:18, the closest TC read by resolve in that clip is 10:17:11:08. Likewise for clip two is 02:22:03:22 and what is available is 02:24:41:08.

It’s a 25fps project and I’ve checked at each step of the process that this is always the timebase

As Premiere, the edl, QT7, FCP7 are all reading the same TC, I believe the problem is with resolve but I can’t work out what it is. Any help, ideas, suggestions would be great.

Will cross post this issue across the BMD, creative cow & Adobe forums.

Cheers,
Rob

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Resolve reading mysterious timecode
on Nov 7, 2014 at 12:14:26 am

Please post a sample of the original, and the sample of the transcoded file.

Return to posts index

Rob Nairn
on Nov 7, 2014 at 3:01:21 am

Hi Rohit,

The transcode process has included the correct images (frames) in each clip but the TC that resolve is reading is wrong. It's like a TC offset has been applied to each clip but random for each one and only resolve is reading it like that.

Cheers,
Rob

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Nov 7, 2014 at 3:54:41 am

Please post a sample so we can check it out!

Return to posts index

Rob Nairn
on Nov 7, 2014 at 4:02:23 am

Hi Rohit,

A sample of what? I can post screen grabs showing the different TC, but I don't get what that would achieve.

Cheers,
Rob

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Nov 7, 2014 at 9:02:53 am

We need the clips so we can reproduce the problem here, and debug it.

Return to posts index

Rob Nairn
on Nov 7, 2014 at 10:54:44 am

Hi Rohit,

Apologies, I didn't understand what you intended. That would be great! However I won't be able to do so until Monday. Is there a way I can send them to you directly, rather than posting a public link to the clips? Also is, say, 2 clips enough for you to debug rather than the whole lot?

Cheers,
Rob

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Nov 7, 2014 at 11:20:53 am

It is probable that premiere messes up the TC.

Also see how is reels and TC implemented on import in Resolve.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: solve reading mysterious timecode
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:24:30 am

Two clips are enough. You send me a PM on BMD forum or Reduser

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Nov 12, 2014 at 4:01:22 am

Thanks for sending the files. The problem is due to the fact that your encoding app is not updating the timecode in the Cineform metadata. When using Cineform, Resolve currently gives higher priority to the timecode in Cineform metadata. Moving forward, we will change it to just use Quicktime timecode.

Return to posts index

Rob Nairn
on Nov 16, 2014 at 11:12:35 pm

Hi Rohit,

Sorry for the slow reply, thanks for looking into it!. Glad I wasn't missing something really obvious, but at the same time, pity its just toggling an existing menu option to get my work flow moving again. Will keep a look out for resolve updates. Any chance you could post here when the change has been at your end.

Cheers,
Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]