FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve XML > FCP7 - Can't Export Full Res clips

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Croxton
DaVinci Resolve XML > FCP7 - Can't Export Full Res clips
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:26:20 am

Hello,

I have a sequence in FCP7 that contains graded clips from DaVinci Resolve. I brought them in using the Round Trip XML and the sequence loaded all of my graded footage in FCP7 no problem.

I'm trying to export clips (and ideally the entire sequence) as full-res, self-contained movie files but every time I attempt to do so I get a 'General Error.'

Is it not possible to export full-res clips once I've brought in the graded footage? I can export using Quicktime conversion but that is compressing the footage and changing the color/quality of my clips.

Thanks so much to whoever can answer this! I am really stumped :(

Will

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: DaVinci Resolve XML > FCP7 - Can't Export Full Res clips
on Nov 5, 2014 at 12:30:17 am

Often, not exclusively, the "General Error" can be tracked down to a piece of corrupt media (at Finder level), a corrupt clip (fcp "clip", Finder media is fine), some type of Long-GOP/MPEG/MP3 asset, or Stills that are to large for FCP to deal with (this can vary, but usually anything over 3500x3500 per my experience)... and I'm sure there are other causes.

I'd start by trying to track down where in the timeline the problem asset is. This can take some trial and error...

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:49:05 pm

Eric is probably on the right track, and you may have to eliminate part of the timeline, a piece at a time, until you find the offending individual.

I did experience a General Error situation that was caused by a non-orthodox resolution on the timeline It was a few VFX clips that I had imbedded that were 853x480 ProRes422 (for my own reasons). As soon as I flipped them back to the officially blessed 720x480 / 1280x720 / 1920x1080 'standard' dimensions, then all was well.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:58:48 pm

If I find this is happening consistently around the same percentage of export, I will change the time display in FCP to frames and find the corresponding percentage to that count, and start looking around, usually within 5-10 sec's in either direction, this will often get me to at least the 1st offender... this may take a couple rounds... but it does work.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]