FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere > Resolve conform issues

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Eilertsen
Premiere > Resolve conform issues
on Oct 29, 2014 at 7:49:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to conform a PPro CC timeline into Resolve 11 for grading and am having issues with slow motion footage. The footage was shot at 60p and used in the timeline as slomo by interpreting the footage as 23.976 in Premiere (no retiming, just change the interpretation speed). When I send the timeline to Resolve via XML, it imports the footage as 60 rather than 24. When I change the footage back to 24 in Resolve using the "clip attributes" tab, the clip in the timeline goes dark: the in point now refers to a TC outside the clip. It appears that the TC being read for the in/out in Resolve is actually different than the TC in Premiere. For instance, in the first clip in the timeline, the TC for the source in read by Resolve is 12:05:28;20, while in Premiere the in point is at 12;05;57;06. When I manually find 12;05;57;06 in the clip in Resolve, it is the same frame as in Premiere, so the two programs are interpreting the retiming of the footage the same, but somehow the correct in/out timecodes are getting lost in translation. Any ideas on how to fix this that don't require manually fixing the TC for every clip?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Premiere > Resolve conform issues
on Oct 30, 2014 at 2:56:11 am

I generally try to get my clients to render out any speed changes as ProRes 444 in whatever format they're working in, just to avoid the headache of dealing with speed changes. In theory, speed changes should be interpreted correctly, but they're always problematic and handled differently within Avid, Premiere, Final Cut, and Resolve. If the incoming file is already at the right speed and is intended to be played back at 24fps, then it should drop into the timeline just fine.

Return to posts index

Paul Willis
on Nov 2, 2014 at 11:16:47 am

I do as Marc says, it's generally very inconsistent from Premiere, sometimes it works and sometimes it just seems to make no sense at all. It's a case of finding the speed changes in Premiere, marking them and exporting them individually or queuing them. It's time consuming but much less so than dealing with a dodgy conform.

Paul

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:38:34 pm

I would take the speed-changed clips from Premiere to After Effects and render there, as AE usually handles speed changes better than Premiere. And then make a sequence in Premiere where you replace the original clips with the once rendered in AE, and send an XML to Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]