FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve won't work anywhere!!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Riker
Resolve won't work anywhere!!
on Oct 28, 2014 at 2:16:57 pm

OK I'm not sure Resolve is the right tool for this. If not let me know and save my pain. I have a bunch of VHS converted content I'm trying to improve the coloring on and heard Resolve was the best at color correction work. Not sure if that's the case.

Anyway, so I install Resolve 11.1 on my PC. Windows 8.1. Installs, runs, can't even select files. Trying to scroll thru the files thru their interface it slows down and then just crashes.

OK, let me try on my Mac. MacBook Pro Yosemite. OK it installs and runs. Hey, where are the buttons to switch to Edit, Color, etc. Wait, the bottom inch and a half of the screen is off the page. Crap. Well according to the manual I can manually switch screens. OK no problem. Wait, they are saying something about alpha-F2,F3, etc. Well any variant of the F keys do other things in the interface.

Any thoughts on what's going on here and if I'm looking to start learning a new tool that isn't what I need?

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resolve won't work anywhere!!
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:00:41 pm

It's not the tool that's wrong but the hardware you're running it on. There is a resolve config guide for Mac and one for windows that you may want to take a look at. Sounds like your windows doesn't have a support GPU, and your Mac resolution is set too low.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:02:07 pm

[John Riker] "I have a bunch of VHS converted content I'm trying to improve the coloring on "

Does sound as if Resolve may not be the correct choice for you.

There are a number of plugin processes available across the net -- Boris, Sapphire, etc., that may get you to where you want to go without the hardware demands and learning curve that a fundamental tool like Resolve demands.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Oct 30, 2014 at 3:54:08 pm
Last Edited By John Riker on Oct 30, 2014 at 3:59:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. On my mac I'm at the max I can be at. Found an article on how to switch it to allow me to adjust the size and am good there but a Mac is slow for my needs.

Assuming I can get it working on a PC, is NVidia GPU required to run this software? I know when it launches it complains all the time, however I do not spend a lot of money on GPU's because I find rendering thru a GPU has visual artifact issues compared to CPU based. My primary rendering station is a dual CPU XEON 2.65GHz (12 core) system for a total of 24 processing cores. Is it then that Resolve can't take advantage of this and requires GPU's for it's work? Not that I can even get that far as I can't even get to selecting a file on the PC but curious.

Also for reference the PostgreSQL DB won't ever install. Even running as administrator. Always fails. I'll check the minimum requirements, maybe 8.1 isn't supported or something. If there is a link to these requirements let me know. All I ever see on their basic website is a download link for Win or Mac.

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 31, 2014 at 4:29:15 pm

[John Riker] "Is it then that Resolve can't take advantage of this and requires GPU's for it's work?"

That is correct. # of core processors helps with application processes, but not with image processing. There is an option to share the UI GPU resource with the dedicated additional GPUs, which in recent versions do not have to all support nVidia CUDA.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]