FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Feature Request

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Another Feature Request
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:21:21 pm

If this is not already available, would love to see a control panel software on an iPad or other tablet device to color grading with.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: Another Feature Request
on Oct 20, 2014 at 5:30:44 pm

Tangent Element VS.

http://www.tangentwave.co.uk/products_element_vs.asp

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Oct 20, 2014 at 7:43:51 pm

I would argue that there isn't enough precision within a tablet interface to make the sorts of subtle adjustments we do every day. It might be enough for broad strokes (like dailies), but not for little tiny 1ire adjustments here and there. Only trackballs and rings will work with that.

Although... there are some major A-list colorists out there that survive very well by using just a mouse. But I don't think they're using Resolve with a mouse, last I checked.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Oct 20, 2014 at 11:14:43 pm

The ones I know who use a mouse and keyboard (probably the same ones you know) are usually on Lustre. And while it's certainly true that the Lustre interface is better suited for direct GUI manipulation (the controls are sized better and scaled better for that, and there are a LOT of buttons) I've used the current Resolve interface with a mouse and keyboard and it wasn't as heinous as some are making it out to be, particularly when working with log controls (offset/contrast/contrast pivot). I would agree, though, that it's not ideal.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Oct 21, 2014 at 9:23:50 am
Last Edited By jake blackstone on Oct 21, 2014 at 9:30:16 am

Many use Printer Lights and using it with keyboards is quite nice on pretty much any top software. This is the only control that I'm aware, that is pretty much universal and standardized. 4-7 for Red, 5-6 for Green and 6-9 for Blue. Unfortunately these days clients require much more than just Printer Lights:)
On the original OP question, KeyPad application allows very high level of customization. For example I can click once for for new serial node with the circle window and by swiping to the right will cause Resolve to start tracking forward. Swimming to the left will start tracking in the other direction. It works through WiFi and it has no lag. But without tactile feedback you always must look down at the iPAD.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Oct 21, 2014 at 7:04:35 pm

>>But without tactile feedback you always must look down at the iPAD.

Absolutely true, and that's one of the biggest problems with representational interfaces on a touch surface. We recently designed a touch interface for our on set color product and faced exactly this issue. Our solution was to go completely gestural, using a combination of multi-touch gestures and single touch gestures to differentiate the different functions. That's really the only way to do a touch screen controller that doesn't require constant viewing and specific finger placement, but it can really only be done if the number of functions that are required are limited, as they are in an on set product.

Return to posts index

Patrick Morgan
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:10:59 pm

I always look down on the IPAD....but thats because I'm an Android user....

Agree with Jake, the beauty of panels is watching what you are doing while doing it, otherwise it's like texting while driving, you never know what horrors might occur.

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Morgan
Product Marketing Manager
http://www.digitalvision.tv

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Nov 1, 2014 at 7:36:43 pm

I used the Tangent VS recently while I was working on a doc in Colorado and couldn't get my hands on a control surface... to my shock and surprise, I really liked it. True I had to glance down at times (not for balls though - pretty big target). For me it beat the pants off a mouse in Resolve.

John Tissavary
colorist
The Post Collective NYC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]