FORUMS: list search recent posts

new 5K retina iMac vs 8 core MacPro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
new 5K retina iMac vs 8 core MacPro
on Oct 17, 2014 at 1:04:47 pm

Was in the market for the 8 core MacPro for editing and CC work (using Resolve) but now with the 27 in retina iMac I'm in a quandary. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and think the Mac Pro is still the best bang for your buck for most post, editing work?

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
Re: new 5K retina iMac vs 8 core MacPro
on Oct 17, 2014 at 4:57:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing, what I would love more than anything, is actually use an iMac 5K and be able to use it as target display with a HP Z820, I know it should work on thunderbolt with a Mac, but with a PC running thunderbolt doesn't seem likely, it would a be a killer setup though.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 18, 2014 at 4:51:04 pm
Last Edited By Rick Lang on Oct 18, 2014 at 7:16:54 pm

A few things do make that iMac maxed out fairly competitive:
- the computer comes with a free factory calibrated 5K monitor albeit probably still 8bit colour;
- the R9 M295X 4GB GPU provides an amazing 3.5 teraflops (same as the D700s;
- the four-core i7 starts at 4GHz and of course multi-threads and is turbo charged to 4.4GHz compared to the eight-core 3.0GHz multi-thread new Mac Pro; and
- intel Quick Sync does offer superior H.264 (also H.265?) decoding and encoding for distribution with no word when the Mac Pro will have that feature.

Only downside is the iMac is still Haswell with two new platforms scheduled for release in 2015 so next year that iMac will be cooler and use less power and just as fast at a minimum. So wait for Barefeats to test the new maxed out iMac against a similar new Mac Pro?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Oct 18, 2014 at 5:52:35 pm

[Rick Lang] "the computer comes with a free factory calibrated"

Every monitor is "Factory Calibrated" this doesn't really mean much.

[Rick Lang] "the R9 R295X 4GB GPU provides an amazing 3.5 teraflops"

But there's only one of them and running that 5K display will certainly consume a significant amount of those measly 4GB of RAM.

[Rick Lang] "intel Quick Sync does offer superior H.264 (also H.265?) decoding and encoding"

Maybe in speed, but absolutely not in quality.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Oct 18, 2014 at 7:25:04 pm

Juan, I agree with your observations and the maximum of 4GB of GPU VRAM may end up being a limiting factor for the iMac to tackle 4K data effectively. Still we know for HD video, many people currently use the old high-end iMacs and this new iteration does appear to be impressive for that segment of the market. I think if you’re doing demanding work and certainly when it applies to 4K, the 8 core new Mac Pro is still a requisite.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:28:14 pm

Thanks...still edging towards the mac Pro.

Recall reading somewhere that it IS also possible to upgrade the CPU in the new Mac Pro. Can anyone comment?
Is that something worthy of consideration?

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]