FORUMS: list search recent posts

deliver TIFF or DPX no effects rendered

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Halm
deliver TIFF or DPX no effects rendered
on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:56:30 am

hey there

in my timeline are dissolves and a title with alpha channel (V2 over V1)
exporting quicktime single file resolve creates a perfect pic including the dissolves and title.
exporting tiff or DPX (needed in "open DCP") the title is rendered as separate files and the dissolves are not rendered. the clip lengt of the dissolve clips is correct - it just start without the dissolve.

the strange thing: i think i did tests before to render tiff to open dcp and that time the effects were baked in correctly?!?! the manual also states, supported effects are baked in the output file...

thanks for your help

resolve 11.1 / OSX 10.8.5 / iMac 3.4 GHz / 32 GIG ram

iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 9.03
Avid MC 7

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: deliver TIFF or DPX no effects rendered
on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:31:23 am

make sure you are rendering in target mode (single clip), and not in source mode (multiple clips). Source mode render is designed for round-trip back to Avid/FCP, etc.

Return to posts index

Martin Halm
on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:37:26 am

thanks! that was my mistake

cheers!

OSX 10.8.5
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 11.1
Avid MC 7

Return to posts index

Martin Halm
on Oct 11, 2014 at 1:03:26 pm

well, not all true.
now i get the FIRST of the four clips, where the titel is supposed to appear with the burnt in titel. the following three video clips are not rendered out. in the resulting dcp the pic jumps from the first clip with titel - leaving a hole of three clips - to the next clip without titel in the timeline....

any suggestions? thanks!

OSX 10.8.5
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 11.1
Avid MC 7

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 11, 2014 at 4:36:10 pm

Can you MarkIn/MarkOut those special cases and try rendering a target clip for each?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Martin Halm
on Oct 11, 2014 at 4:44:59 pm

you mean rendering a prores HQ and insert this rendered clip in the timeline?
yes, that works. i just don't understand, why resolve won't bake in the title over the entire TIFF or DPX sequence. i would rather not take an intermediate render for final DCP output...

by the way: i also tried to deliver jpg2000 straight out of resolve. open_dcp won't accept these files. strange ..?

thanks for the advice. it's at least a work around that works**

cheers - martin

OSX 10.8.5
32 GIG Ram
Resolve Lite 11.1
Avid MC 7

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 11, 2014 at 7:44:31 pm

[Martin Halm] " i also tried to deliver jpg2000 straight out of resolve. open_dcp won't accept these files. strange ..? "

From what I understand of OpenDCP, it wants to do the J2K conversion (and XYZ conversion) internally and make its own MXF folder, and for that it is going to want TIFF or DPX (essentially you would be making a DCDI first).

Most DCP authoring packages don't really lend themselves to accepting a bunch of files from different directions, as the CPL/PKL/Assetmap XMLs have internal UUID parameters that must integrate OR ELSE.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Terrence Meiczinger
on Oct 17, 2014 at 9:03:27 pm

Resolve does not generate DCI compliant JPEG2000 images, which is why you can't use them in OpenDCP.

Return to posts index

Maximilian Duwe
on Jan 26, 2015 at 5:21:03 am

Is this really still the Case? My JPEG 2000 Sequence played well in easyDCP - subjectivly the shaddows appeared brighter in the easyDCP Player but the Player itself works differently to the Resolve processing engine. openDCP made a (in the easyDCP Player) working MXF from that Sequence...

Return to posts index

Terrence Meiczinger
on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:24:45 pm

As far as I know it is still the case. Just because it plays in EasyDCP Player, doesn't necessarily mean much.

Return to posts index

Maximilian Duwe
on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:49:38 pm
Last Edited By Maximilian Duwe on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:51:44 pm

Okay, at first thank you very much for answering! Blackmagic Design calls the JPEG2000 encoding option "A high-quality compressed image sequence format used for DCP encoding." and the "Delivery Page" of Davinci Resolve calls the codec option of the JPEG 2000 encoding "2K DCI Scope" (in my case) - Since you wrote the entire openDCP application you propably know what you are talking about but it sounds weird to me that Blackmagic Design isn't able to build an DCI compliant encoding of a J2K sequence, when they call it "DCI"... I gonna test it on wednesday at a cinema...

Return to posts index

Terrence Meiczinger
on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:44:47 am

I should clarify, I'm talking about the Lite version. The paid version or with the EasyDCP plugin, then it can do DCI compliant JPEG2000 images. They may have added it to the lite version in an update recently as well.

Return to posts index

Maximilian Duwe
on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:47:14 am

i use the pay version since i own the bmpk4 - sorry for not saying this - thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Maximilian Duwe
on Jan 28, 2015 at 1:45:52 pm

the test at the cinema with a doremi projector was perfect in terms of dcp recognition of the server and playback - the image looked good, but the darker tones were a bit brighter than at grading suite but that seems to be normal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]