FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compounds in the timeline from nowhere

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Shamirov
Compounds in the timeline from nowhere
on Oct 9, 2014 at 11:17:51 am

Timeline was imported via FCPXML. There is no compound clips in the FCX timeline. After import Resolve sees most of clips as compound, and here is a problem. I lose remote grading, because each clip in the timeline refer to it's individual source.

Keep trying to find out where those compounds are coming from. It depends on specific files and does not depend on FCX cut or Resolve project's properties. I can't find the difference between "good" and "bad" files so far, all properties are the same.

I really need a good advice.

Viktor

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Compounds in the timeline from nowhere
on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:02:21 am

What happens if you do the conform with an EDL or with the AAF?

I have encountered cases where I had to have the editor prepare a "simplified" FCP timeline where they flattened the file down to 2 or 3 layers, just to avoid complex timelines that could trip up Resolve. Projects are much, much easier to color-correct when there are no compound clips and just a couple of video tracks to worry about.

In the event of something like a large, complicated split-screen, we'd approach that as a separate problem apart from the show and build it up separately and then import the color-corrected file back into the finish show.

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:15:48 am

Thank you for reply, Marc. I haven't got the EDL-plugin and X2Pro's AAF unlikely is an option to open in Resolve. So I can't make these attempts. My workaround for now is to break apart all clips in the timeline and than make an XML. It works (except for multiclips, which cannot be broke and require a force conform in Resolve), but it takes some time.

But if you go back to my example, it is clear that the timeline is very simple: two clips, nothing more. There is no compounds, layers, effects, syncing, multiclips, just two clips straight from the event. From my nearly 700 clips (the same Arri Alexa) part of them behaves like first clip from the example above and part like second. And I do not see the difference. That's what confuses me.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Oct 10, 2014 at 8:29:31 am

FCPX likes to make compound clips for things like sync'ed audio etc. We try our best to break it up into regular video/audio clips, but sometimes it's not possible as there are different effects within the nested clip, and also at the top-level. If you can post your FCPX XML, we can check it here.

Return to posts index

Victor Shamirov
on Oct 10, 2014 at 10:18:58 am

8090_twofiles.fcpxml.zip

There four clips on the timeline, the last two are the first two broken apart by FCX command. Maybe it is worth mentioning that the files didn't come directly from the camera, but were at first synced by Resolve, then edited.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]