FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 4444 vs GoPro Cineform for color

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukas Dreser
ProRes 4444 vs GoPro Cineform for color
on Oct 6, 2014 at 4:14:10 pm

Hello fellow professionals,

Now that Adobe added Cineform option to our export possibilities, I can see how hugely beneficial this can be to PC users, however, I was wondering when working on MAC, having access to exporting Prores 4444 as a master format to start coloring, would there be any advantage of transitioning to use the Cineform instead ?

I understand that the normal workflow would be to start coloring off the original media, say, the .R3D's for example, however I've ran into some projects with heavy speed ramps etc., and the AAF/XML just does not carry it over well, so I've had to export out of Premiere to 4444 and then match the cut via Scene Detect.

I did a quick test, exported same video in both flavors and didn't find any major differences in regards to quality/size.

Whats your guys' take on this ?

Thanks,
Lukas

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: ProRes 4444 vs GoPro Cineform for color
on Oct 9, 2014 at 6:04:59 pm

I recently have been working with cineform. Don't like it. No.

http://www.filmandtvcolor.com | colorist | Los Angeles, CA

Twitter: @4kfinish

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Oct 11, 2014 at 11:35:00 pm

Paul,

I'm also considering a Cineform workflow on the PC. Why don't you like it? What issues have you found?

Thanks

Chris Tomberlin
Color/Finishing
Outpost Pictures

Return to posts index

Chris Ramey
on Nov 13, 2014 at 2:37:50 pm

I like Cineform a lot as a codec. But didn't use it because it rendered so slow out of old Premiere & old DaVinci. Now that Cineform has good fast support in Premiere, maybe I will test it again in the latest Resolve, see if the Resolve renders are any better in v11.

http://chrisramey.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]