FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affect Clips Individually Not Globally

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Nimmo
Affect Clips Individually Not Globally
on Sep 24, 2014 at 12:07:18 am

Hi so I am having a little trouble figuring this one out.

So I have a bunch of Sony F65 footage that was shot RAW 4k. It was cut together in media composer, now I am grading in resolve. Here is my problem: we are producing a 1080 master, so we reused some of the clips as multiple shots by cropping in. Since it is 4k and we only outputting 1080 we can crop it, still have full res, and it looks like it is a different shot.

Unfortunately the crop data did not translate in the AAF from media composer. When I try to recreate the crop in Resolve, it crops the clip globally, every time it appears in the timeline, thus defeating the entire purpose.

Is there a way to make resolve ONLY affect that instance in the timeline, not every time the clip appears?

I thought about just exporting everything back out to media composer, but then I am limited to 1080 clips so I can't get the full res for the crop.

Is there anyway around this?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Affect Clips Individually Not Globally
on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:27:16 pm

[Robert Nimmo] "Is there a way to make resolve ONLY affect that instance in the timeline, not every time the clip appears?"

Are you using a "Local" grade? Otherwise if you are re-using the same clip extents over and over, the solution is to try to convince Resolve that it is a different clip. Geometrics are a tougher nut to crack in terms of versions.

If nothing else works... I would consider rendering out the clip at each instance with the desired PTZR settings with a unique filename and then make the editor pay to re-insert them.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Charles Haine
Re: Affect Clips Individually Not Globally
on Oct 1, 2014 at 2:55:32 pm

If you're working with remote grades, does it not work to right click on the clip you want to zoom in on, "create a new version" (I usually name this version something like "zoom1" then do your zooming?

That generally works for me.

http://www.dirtyrobber.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]