FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics Card GTX980

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Stricker
Graphics Card GTX980
on Sep 22, 2014 at 12:00:26 am

Hi everybody,

I need to buy new GPUs. Actually I'd go for Nvidias Geforce GTX Titan Black. But since the new GTX 980 was introduced just a couple of days ago I wonder if this new card might be an option. I know that it is not recommended yet by BMD - how should it since it's only been a few days since its release. Nevertheless this a repeating process: a new card gets out, it takea BMD quite a while to approve it, but in the meantime your are doomed to doing nothing if you wanna play by the book.
I am looking for some one with a deeper understanding of the technology to give some advise since I can't estimate what is more important to the architecture of Resolve: the significantly higher clockrate of the GTX 980 or the larger RAM of the Titan Black, just to name two of the differences...

Thanks in advance!

---
OSX 10.9.2
MacPro Mid 2012 12Core
Netstore NA255A GPU Expander
Resolve 11

Return to posts index

Pedro Ricardo
Re: Graphics Card GTX980
on Sep 27, 2014 at 11:10:02 pm

If you are not working in 4K, then the 980s should do as well as the Titans, the 980 has less CUDA cores, but they are 40% more efficient, so you should get excellent performance in Resolve.

If you are working in 4K however, the 50% extra RAM on the Titan or the GTX780 6GB cards might come into play. Resolve can only accelerate using your GPUs if the scene and effects can fit into the card's RAM.

If it was me, I would wait about a month, NVidia is releasing 8GB GTX980 cards, and a pair of those would be very quick, and would have enough RAM to handle pretty much anything you threw at it.

Return to posts index

Roman Stricker
Re: Graphics Card GTX980
on Sep 27, 2014 at 11:15:58 pm

Cool, didn't know that. Thanks so much, Pedro!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]