FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export issues from Resolve 11 to a NFS drive over 10Gbe

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Roe
Export issues from Resolve 11 to a NFS drive over 10Gbe
on Sep 19, 2014 at 1:01:05 pm

Hi

I'm hoping someone might have a solution for a problem we're currently having in our workflow when exporting from Resolve 11 to a NFS drive over 10Gbe.

The setup is: SAS Raid drive plugged into a Mac Pro 1,1 (OS 10.7). SAS drive shared on a 10Gbe network using NFS software (for Final Cut X which we also use).

Footage shot on Blackmagic Production Camera 4K.

When exporting from Resolve 11 - using a Mac Pro 6,1 running OS 10.9 on the same 10Gbe network - some of our renders are failing when writing direct to the NFS. The same file render to local storage without issues. Therefore we're presuming it's a network issue.

Does any know of any solutions, rather than manually coping it over after rendering locally?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
Re: Export issues from Resolve 11 to a NFS drive over 10Gbe
on Sep 22, 2014 at 5:58:52 am

Hey John,

The network rendering is going to be a no-go over a given number of frames per second. I've had bad luck network rendering via TCP/IP. If you really need to do the render over ethernet then you'll need to do it with iSCSI. On a mac the only thing you can use as a DIY-rig is Studio Network Solutions iSCSI target and use an iSCSI initiator. SNS has an initiator as well as Atto. I've only used the Atto. SNS makes the target host software. Not too expensive, cheaper then fibre channel which is what you should probably be using. You'll get much better performance with 4gig FC then you likely will with 10gbe, however, a FC SAN is an undertaking.

In the interim you should experiment with throttling down the render speed... don't go max render performance in Resolve. If you are chugging out a lot of FPS then likely there's some packet loss or rejection. Ethernet is made to be resilient first, performance is second. Using iSCSI will give you a more reliable connection to the storage for what you are trying to do.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

John Roe
Re: Export issues from Resolve 11 to a NFS drive over 10Gbe
on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:27:12 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm now in contact with Studio Network Solutions about their software products.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]