FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere-Resolve speed effects and XML

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Coote
Premiere-Resolve speed effects and XML
on Sep 17, 2014 at 1:43:25 am

I know in the past there have been a lot of problems with XML files from Premiere when there are speed effects in the timeline. I had a completely messed up timeline in Resolve today after importing an XML with some slomo effects.
I am using the latest version of Premiere and V11 Resolve. Is this a problem with Premiere? Is the only workaround to bake-in the speed effects in Premiere first?...ugh.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Premiere-Resolve speed effects and XML
on Sep 17, 2014 at 2:36:24 am

If you've got a speed ramping effect in Premiere Pro, FCP XML does not carry this information to Resolve 11. One way to deal with it, is to bake it beforehand or if you want to retain the latitude of your original footage, you could do a round-trip between Premiere and Resolve, and reconstruct the effect on your graded shot.

There are two ways you can setup linear speed effect in Premiere: one is using Time Remapping under the Effect controls tab in the source monitor panel: FCP XML will not retain that information. The other way is to select your clip and choose in the local menu Speed/Duration... and then select the new clip duration: FCP XML will retain that information and Resolve 11 should interpret it correctly.

HTH,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Sep 17, 2014 at 10:01:44 pm

Hmmm, my sequence only had constant speed changes, no ramps, and it was still completely unusable.
I wish they coluld work this out because it's a huge PITA!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:54:38 am

Well, I personally prefer baked speed effects too, but another method is of course to disable the effects and grade the source video.
As soon as you go back to Premiere they just pop back.
Some of our AVID people still deliver me material that way, but most agree that the new motion estimated speed FX in Avid are as good as it gets and bake em.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Sep 18, 2014 at 3:23:36 pm

[Sascha Haber] "but another method is of course to disable the effects and grade the source video.
As soon as you go back to Premiere they just pop back."

Could you elaborate on this Sascha? where I am confused is how to do the round-trip back from Resolve to Premiere Pro, to have the disabled effects shots reconnected to the newly graded media? do you know if this will work with any Premiere Pro effects including speed ramping?

Thank you,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]