FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raw DNG's + Prores Proxies - relink during grading?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Dyrholm
Raw DNG's + Prores Proxies - relink during grading?
on Sep 10, 2014 at 6:49:29 pm

Hi everybody!
I've justy shot a short film using the FS700 equipped with the Odyssey7Q recorder. I've shot in both RAW (as Cinema DNG's / folders with stacks of single DNG pictures) and ProRes due to the fact that one have to shoot RAW when using framerates above 50fps. Everything belov can be shot in ProResHQ which I did in order to save SSD space.

Long story short: I've made ProresHQ versions of all the RAW material using Davinci Resolve Light and a LUT provided from Convergent Design in order to make the RAW files match the ProresHQ files closest as possible. I'm not satisfied with the output of numerous reasons - to much noise, to little DR, strange color artifacts etc. I short what i want to know is if it's possible for my editor to cut the film using my ProresHQ versions (same filename just with the .mov ending) and then later to relink those clips that I've converted back to the original RAW sequences during the grading?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Raw DNG's + Prores Proxies - relink during grading?
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:41:26 pm

I am right now grading a feature film documentary with some of the raw footage (dng sequence files) being shot with the FS700/Odyssey at different frame size & rate. Like in your case, production generated ProRes proxies for editing. Now I am in charge of conforming and grading. The film was edited in Premiere Pro CC.

One of the issue I encounter is sometime the proxies do not reconnect automatically to the dng sequence: I have to manually select the folder and everything works fine. I am still trying to understand why is that and if I can find the culprit in the workflow. I was not in charge of creating the proxies, so I am wondering if all the metadata have been passed correctly to the proxies.

Have you had a chance to run a small test on a few clips and see if you get the result expected? which editing software will be used in your production?

I'd be curious to know what ever you find out on your side.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Raw DNG's + Prores Proxies - relink during grading?
on Sep 10, 2014 at 8:29:31 pm

File / reel name have to be exactly the same in mov name as in dng. Also TC should be identical.

I would do proxy files from the original DNG files from Resolve and would burn in
TC, File name etc. All relevant data that would help to reconnect to DNG
lets say everything goes wrong with relink or you loose your edit etc.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index