FORUMS: list search recent posts

constant crashes with Resolve 11, new Mac Pro, and 4K

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Sartori
constant crashes with Resolve 11, new Mac Pro, and 4K
on Sep 9, 2014 at 9:55:32 pm

Hi,

I am stalled on a project because of constant crashes with Resolve. Total freeze-ups, where I have to do a hard shutdown of the machine. It happens every time I switch the timeline to 4K, or attempt a 4K render.

We have the full version of Resolve 11, on a new Mac Pro with AMD graphics cards. We are running 10.9.2, after a rollback because of problems in 10.9.3. The source media is Red epic 4k.

Things operate fine, I'm working in 2k, until I do anything in 4K. Even setting up a render with the timeline at 2K, and selecting "render at source resolution" causes a total freeze.

Any ideas? I disabled the film convert plugin, in case that was causing it, but no go. The film has temporal noise reduction throughout, but that has never been a problem before?

Thank in advance!

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: constant crashes with Resolve 11, new Mac Pro, and 4K
on Sep 10, 2014 at 12:42:59 am

Do you have the D700 GPU?

Return to posts index

Sean Sartori
on Sep 10, 2014 at 11:42:45 pm

yes, two AMD FirePro D700's

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:58:26 pm

[Sean Sartori] "The film has temporal noise reduction throughout, but that has never been a problem before?"

It is a biggie, though. Obviously, in 4K, 4x the previous load, and with temporal NR enabled, it would be 8 or 16x depending on how many frames you need to have loaded at any one time.

Most of the freeze-up and exit-to-desktop crashes I have had mostly seem to lead back to VRAM.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Sean Sartori
on Sep 10, 2014 at 11:48:16 pm

Yes it could be connected to noise reduction, or it could be that the project is corrupted, as I brought it from Resolve 10. Its suspicious though, that all crashes are related to 4K.

I needed to export some 4K stills, and the workaround was to create a new project, bring in just those shots, and work in a 4K timeline. Even then, if I brought in a grade that had NR enabled, instant freeze. If i removed the NR and brought the grade over, all was fine.

So this begs the question, is it not possible to do ANYTHING in 4K with NR? I thought this new mac pro was a racecar and all....

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Sep 11, 2014 at 5:01:02 pm

Make sure your temporal NR is not on a timeline node but on clip nodes.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:30:47 am

Hi Sean

We are having similar issues and need to get a project out. Did you manage to sort your issues with resolve when rendering a 4K red timeline and the new mac pro???

Thanks!

Tom

Please feel to email me direct at tom at pollenstudio dot co dot uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]