FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference in luma levels when sending from Resolve to FCP 7 monitoring

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Saboya Burgos
Difference in luma levels when sending from Resolve to FCP 7 monitoring
on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:34:58 pm

Hi,

So, I grade in Resolve using an Decklink Extreme 4K and a Sony PVM-2541 and BlackMagic Ultrascope for monitoring.

When I import my graded videos to FCP, using the same monitoring, it seems in my monitor like it is a little darker. I loose detail on black levels. It reminds me the effects of working in 7.5 IRE and then monitoring in 0 IRE.

The monitoring in Ultrascope remains the same, tough. No changes comparing between the Ultrascope reading signal from Resolve or FCP.

Also, if I export it from FCP and then Reimport it to Resolve, I see I didn't actually lose any details in the black levels...

Any tips on how to match both monitorings so both can be trustworthy? I'm worried about making a DCP - for instance - and finding out that the monitoring in FCP was actually right.

Thanks and sorry for the messy post, sometimes it's hard for me to be eloquent in english.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Difference in luma levels when sending from Resolve to FCP 7 monitoring
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:19:08 pm

[Pedro Saboya Burgos] "and finding out that the monitoring in FCP was actually right."

That'll be the day.

Use the search function for this forum and look for terms like gamma difference, scaling issues and RGB problems with Quicktime. Its probably the difference between interpreting IRE levels between 0-1024 and 64-940... like it always is.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Re: Difference in luma levels when sending from Resolve to FCP 7 monitoring
on Sep 3, 2014 at 6:14:39 pm

Hi, Joseph!

Thank you for your answer, I did some search on the subject before but I think I wasn't using the proper terms, sorry for that.

I tried some fixes that people recommended but none seemed to work. Then, while I was working on another subject, something happened: when I changed the easy setup framerate from "all rates" to "23,98", I noticed a change in the gamma in my monitor.

It seems that, although I had the settings of video monitoring output right and sequence settings right, the "easy setup" of final cut pro should also be set right… and actually changing it's framerate (not compression settings, nor bit, nor colorspace) actually worked.

Is it weird or am I missing something?

Thanks

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Colorist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]