FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 7/X XMLs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Glucksman
Final Cut 7/X XMLs
on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:47:32 pm

I've had a weird situation a couple times, and I'm sure there's a simple fix. I've worked on projects that originated in FCP 7, but when I render (with the Final Cut Pro Roundtrip setting) it exports an FCPXML, not one that it compatible with FCP 7. What am I missing here?
Secondary follow-up--I'm about to take on a Premiere project, and will intend to give them an XML to bring the movie back into Adobe when I'm done. Do I still do the FC Roundtrip?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Final Cut 7/X XMLs
on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:54:00 pm

[Jesse Glucksman] "I render (with the Final Cut Pro Roundtrip setting) it exports an FCPXML"

There is an option in the export dialog to select one of the appropriate XMLs for various NLEs. For FCP7, there should not be an "X" anywhere in the dialogues or preset offerings.

Premiere XML should be similar to the FCP7 ("5"?) template. The NLE itself should be smart enough to be able to parse out any incoming compatible script -- it should ask what it is on import, anyway.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:26:33 pm

That sort of raises an interesting question, though. If I render as "Final Cut Pro XML Roundtrip" or "Avid AAF Roundtrip" DaVinci will automatically create an XML or AAF. Are those, as a rule, to be ignored in favor of manually exporting one from the Edit Page? Or should I do that only in cases like this, where the automatically created XML isn't what I need it to be? Is there another way for after the render, other than right-clicking on the timeline icon on the Edit page, to manually export an XML/AAF?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 29, 2014 at 7:08:11 pm

If you need to export XML files from FCX and get that into FCP7 or Premiere Pro you'll need an app to convert the FCPXML format to the previous XML version. Intelligent Assistance has your answer for that: Xto7

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Xto7/

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:27:21 pm

Thanks, I'm mainly focused on figuring out the best way to get from DaVinci back to the edit program the project came from, and not necessarily going from one editor to another.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]