FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems rendering large Quicktime files to Ethernet SANs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sackey
Problems rendering large Quicktime files to Ethernet SANs
on Aug 26, 2014 at 3:29:34 pm

Hi folks,

I've come up against this problem with Resolve on a couple of different enet SANS, a Promax Platform Studio and an Editshare. Basically what seems to happen is a problem with writing large files, i.e. a feature or long form doc rendering out to a single clip. When I hot render everything goes as it should, the viewer plays through the timeline, a Quicktime file appears where it should on the storage space and it's file size increases as the render progresses.

The problem occurs at the end of the render. Once the render finishes the final file size changes from 250 Gb (for the sake of argument) to couple of hundred megabytes. The resulting file isn't recognised by QT player.

Has anyone experienced this with ethernet SANs? As it's happened with two different brands of SAN I thought I'd try here first before looking at the storage side.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Problems rendering large Quicktime files to Ethernet SANs
on Aug 26, 2014 at 3:54:37 pm

I think that's the dreaded AFP bug where after 4 GB the file gets corrupt. Was an issue rendering out big files in After Effects to SAN as well. I used to have to render to the desktop and then copy to SAN. What OS?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Aug 27, 2014 at 9:02:45 am

Hi Warren,

It does sound like the AFP Bug, it's happening on OS 10.9.4 with the Promax and 10.8.x (which ever one was the last) with the Editshare.

I tried rendering a 1hr feature film last night to the Promax. It should result in a 45gb Quicktime in Prores 422, this morning I've got a 350mb file with a generic Quicktime icon that QT player can't open.

Although from what I've read of the AFP bug the render corrupts when it hits a certain file size limit. In my case the software completes the render as normal and if you look at the file in it's target folder it's size increases all the way through the render, it hits it's expected file size when the render finishes and even shows the usual Quicktime preview frame icon before quickly reverting to the generic icon and the file size jumping down to a couple hundred meg.

Does that sound like the AFP issue you had?

John

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Aug 27, 2014 at 4:01:17 pm

Yes this is what happens with Quicktime only. It doesn't happen with other file formats. And it only happens when using the export as Quicktime, or applications that use the Quicktime 7 engine.

The file writes as it should, but then starts over at the header and rewrites itself and thats why you are getting the generic QT icon. The file ends up being truncated in size.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Aug 27, 2014 at 5:36:07 am

I work on an Editshare and haven't seen this, but normally I'm rendering out up for a few hundred GB of individual clips, whether it is DPX, QT or MXF.

I would contact Garret at Editshare and ask about that.

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Aug 27, 2014 at 9:08:23 am

Hi Pieter,

Like I said, it's happening on both an editshare and a Promax so I think it might be an OS specific thing like the AFP bug. I spend most of my time on the Promax system so if I can't crack the problem on here I'll give them a shout.

As it happens across different brands of SAN I thought it would be a good idea to speak to other Davinci guys first.

DPX could be a good work around though since it won't reach the file sizes that seem to be the main problem.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Aug 27, 2014 at 4:27:32 pm

I have exported 4+ uncompressed to Editshare, but not from Davinci. For the really large files sizes, DPX is probably the reason I avoided the AFP bug.

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Aug 27, 2014 at 11:01:21 am

A quick Addendum to this:

I tried rendering the same 1 hour feature that gave me this result:

I tried rendering a 1hr feature film last night to the Promax. It should result in a 45gb Quicktime in Prores 422, this morning I've got a 350mb file with a generic Quicktime icon that QT player can't open.

Although from what I've read of the AFP bug the render corrupts when it hits a certain file size limit. In my case the software completes the render as normal and if you look at the file in it's target folder it's size increases all the way through the render, it hits it's expected file size when the render finishes and even shows the usual Quicktime preview frame icon before quickly reverting to the generic icon and the file size jumping down to a couple hundred meg.

This time I rendered to MXF with DNXHD 220/185 10 bit and it renders out fine so the problem appears to be quicktime specific. If I have time I may leave another QT render going overnight but with a non Prores codec to see if I can narrow it down further.

Cheers
John

Return to posts index

Linas Dabriska
on Oct 26, 2014 at 5:30:04 pm

Hi,

have you solved the problem? We have the same problem with QuickTime. We have tied to render via AFP and SMB to the network shared drive which is formatted in HFS+ and encountered the same problem. After this we formatted network drive to exFAT and render completed successfully, so it seems that Davinci has the problem with HFS+ network shared drives.
Would be great to heat how you solved your problem.

Regards,

Linas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]