GPU Acceleration in old Mac Pro vs new iMac

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Viljoen
GPU Acceleration in old Mac Pro vs new iMac
on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:51:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I've got a question about speed.

We have 16 shoots coming in over the next month with about 18-20hrs of GoPro/5D. We're transcoding in Resolve, making new ProRes masters, then transcoding to proxies in Avid for offline edit.

This is a large amount of stuff to have, and it is taking a long time. I have two types of machines available to me. The clone of the production drive is usually USB 3.0 at best.

Would it be faster on the Haswell i7 (16gb of ram) with its mobile GPU (GTX 780M 4096 MB) or an older Mac Pro (4.1 dual quad core) with a new GTX 680? We have stations like this with either 32GB of RAM or 48.

We've actually found the iMacs transcode very quickly vs the older Pros. Will the powerful new GPU in the Pro outpace the iMac? We've got to establish a workflow, because the transcode on the iMac took 20+ hours.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: GPU Acceleration in old Mac Pro vs new iMac
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:36:21 am

The GPU is running circles around the iMac one, but reading, transcoding and writing is done in the CPU, so be sure to get the 12 core.

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:45:11 am

Jason Myres has some good benchmarks on the current MacPros and older MacPros on the LiftGammaGain website:

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-mac-pro-resolve-benchm...

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:32:33 pm

also if I understand it correctly you're transcoding twice.
I'd convert to DNxHD 120, edit it in AVID, and use them as master files (go pro, and 5D nitrates are lower than 120mbit/s)

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Aug 26, 2014 at 11:04:39 pm

Laco,

ProRes is what the DI/telecine house we are working on this is requesting. We also don't want to be working with a few hundred hours of DNx115 or ProRes LT on our shared storage as we have many other projects and generally work from DNxHD36 or Proxy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]