FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinions of Resolve as an edit app?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Dee
Opinions of Resolve as an edit app?
on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:55:18 pm
Last Edited By Richard Dee on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:57:58 pm

Unfortunately I missed the portion of the NYC event yesterday that showed Resolve (which I made the mistake of actually buying @ version 8) for editing (I did see the color correction demo and was mightily impressed, especially coming from Color)

I like many people are still stuck in FCP 7.1 and not sure which editing app to go to. (in asking people it seems some who have gone to Premier like it but don't love it, and have even heard of some who have gone Avid and then went to Premier.)

SO, can anyone using Resolve to edit indicate how they like it, what works and what doesn't, what app is it most like, (I have a feeling maybe FCPX).

Are there FCP7 keyboard maps? I didn't see it in the pull down. Are there simple things like match frame, fit to fill, etc?

I know OMF isn't supported yet but a workaround is XML to FCP7 then export OMF.

I would love Resolve to one day be the best of FCP7 and the under the hood only aspects of FCPX).

On the topic of getting jobs at production companies/post houses, I wonder if anything but Avid editors will be able to get those jobs?

I can't imagine many places (except those doing heavy AFX work using Premier as their app of choice)

And in my mind FCPX (having played with it a bit) - I don't think I'd want to work anyplace that would choose that as a platform or

for that matter any software from a (now consumer oriented) phone and music download company. I guess Logic is the exception.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
Re: Opinions of Resolve as an edit app?
on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:03:35 am

FCP X is currently making inroads in several pro markets, especially in broadcast and commercials, so you might want to reconsider that. I think it's probably more commonly used in pro contexts than Premiere is, although there is some Premiere. Avid is obviously still around as it always has been, and a lot of people still cut on FCP7, waiting to see where things will go. If you want something new, I'd probably recommend either Avid or FCPX.

Resolve has gotten a lot of new editing features, but I'd still definitely consider it an online editor/finishing tool, not an NLE for what you'd usually use Avid or FCP for. It's still got quite a way to go before it gets there, and honestly I doubt that's what the focus is ever going to be. Think of it as trying to be a replacement for stuff like Smoke, not FCP.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 16, 2014 at 1:27:02 am

I agree. For me FCP X is a solid choice, especially the integration with Motion at least in the ability of creating of custom effects, transitions, titles and effects. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:55:45 am

Why do you think it was a mistake to purchase Resolve full at version 8? Your dongle still work with Resolve 11 full.

You should consider purchasing Alexis new training video on editing in Resolve 11 to learn more. You'll find more information here:

http://www.rippletraining.com/categories/avid-adobe-davinci-courses/davinci...

I personally would recommend you learn a bit about each NLE and then focus on learning that NLE to a deeper level after the taste test.

For me Media Composer and Resolve work well, I've started to make baby steps with Smoke 2015.

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Tenenbaum
on Aug 21, 2014 at 1:09:27 pm

I can't say much about Resolve 11 as an editor either. I think, probably nobody can as it is too new.

But I, too, cut on FCPX, and I can say although not perfect, 3 years after its release it's now a solid choice.

Good luck choosing!

Emmanuel Tenenbaum
http://emmanueltenenbaum.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]