FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 11 AAF From Symphony 7.0.3

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ober
Resolve 11 AAF From Symphony 7.0.3
on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:35:51 pm

Hello Folks,

I cannot get Resolve 11 Lite (release) to import an AAF from my Symphony 7.0.3. It hangs on import.

11B1 and I think B2 would import the AAF but would give me the dreaded flicker on some clips. I have tried the following:

▪ From Resolve BaclifPSAPass5 all imports except some audio into Avid.
▪ From Avid to Resolve, Resolve hung importing AAF.
▪ Did video mixdown to V1 in AAF settings.. Did audio mixdown/flatten in AAF settings. Mixed frame set to none. Use sizing information checked. HUNG importing AAF.
▪ Moved AAF from boot drive to WD RAID. Resolve still HUNG importing AAF. External drive with the Avid Media Files did run for a while.
▪ Left Use sizing unchecked and Mixed frame to Resolve. BTW, trying now as with the last one or two tries, with the mini monitor unplugged. Resolve still HUNG importing AAF.

Video is DNxHD 175 X, 1080p23.98.

The computer is a Late 2013 MBP/16GB RAM/1TB internal/GT750M/Graphics switching off with the Avid project and media on an USB3 4TB external. WD Raid is an external RAID 0 firewire 800 connected with a Thunderbolt adapter.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolve 11 AAF From Symphony 7.0.3
on Aug 11, 2014 at 3:58:53 am

The "gold master" release of 11 is now out (version after B2), so maybe this solves the problem. You could also try an XML instead of an AAF and see if that makes a difference.

I think there is a version 7.0.4 of Avid out there (last one before 8 and 8.1), so that also might be a possible fix.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 11, 2014 at 1:38:38 pm

The "gold master" release of 11 is now out (version after B2), so maybe this solves the problem. You could also try an XML instead of an AAF and see if that makes a difference.

Yep, using that.

I think there is a version 7.0.4 of Avid out there (last one before 8 and 8.1), so that also might be a possible fix.

Might try that. Been avoiding it because it has issues with Desktop Video. BMD supposedly has a Beta of a Desktop Video update so I might go to 7.0.4.

I tried the AAF again and waited minutes. It came back and said all but one file imported. I had it scan the RAID and it did not find it. I had it scan the Internal drive and after some minutes Resove crashed.

Aggravating as this is the workflow I want to use.

Thanks MW:)

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:05:33 pm

Are you using embedded media in the AAF or linking to the original media?

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:09:46 am
Last Edited By John Sellars on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:13:52 am

Try using an EDL from Avid to gather your media, then use the AAF to conform it. For some reason Resolve seems to work better when it doesn't have to do two things at once…

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:29:29 pm

"Are you using embedded media in the AAF or linking to the original media?"

Linking.

[John Sellars] "Try using an EDL from Avid to gather your media, then use the AAF to conform it. For some reason Resolve seems to work better when it doesn't have to do two things at once…"

Not sure how to do that but I might try.

Tried again and waited for the one file did not import notice and just continued without searching for it. It was only missing the audio but I have that in a few places so not a big issue.

Made a change, told Resolve to export new DNxHD 175 x's. When I import the AAF into Avid I get no error but the video clips are offline and relink (tried various workarounds) does not relink and gives the usual "No clips were relinked."

I believe I even moved the new clips into the main external's 1 folder. I have copied the clips into the main bin and another bin. Tried the relink to selected media in all open bins with no luck.

I am now on 7.0.4 and have tried without Desktop Video and with the .13 Beta. I will copy the new clips to the other external's 1 folder and launch MC again.

These folks need to get together and make this more reliable. Not like any big budget features need this workflow or anything. ;-)

Y'all have a good whatever,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:13:42 am

Hey Again Folks,

[Robert Ober] "I will copy the new clips to the other external's 1 folder and launch MC again."

So that worked or the eighties music I am listening to had an effect. romeo void on LP for those who care.

Y'all have some fun,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Aug 14, 2014 at 1:46:19 am

[Robert Ober] "Not sure how to do that but I might try."

v11 manual p392, Add Folder and SubFolders Based on EDLs into Media Pool

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:15:21 pm

[John Sellars] "v11 manual p392, Add Folder and SubFolders Based on EDLs into Media Pool"

Book and page number, whattaguy.

Starting to try this. So I use the EDL to bring in the media to Resolve and the AAF to bring in sequence info?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:34:34 pm

Yeah, it's worth a try when Resolve can't find media, especially from Avid…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]