Any gotchas with this Avid workflow?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Coote
Any gotchas with this Avid workflow?
on Aug 8, 2014 at 2:31:06 pm

Hi there

So here is my intended workflow:

Bring Sony F55 1080P XAVC footage into resolve with a bin for each reel.
Enable: Use timecode - embedded in the source clip and assist using reel names from the: embedding in source clip file.
Use AAF Avid round trip export to make DNXHD45 dailies with TC burn and LUT applied.
In Avid, make a bin for each reel and drag the .mdb file into each bin to populate the bin with the master clips.
Edit.
Export AAF - link to files.
Import AAF into Resolve and select: use original camera footage.

I have tested this workflow and everything seems to relink fine. The only potential problem I see is that in Resolve, the reel names for the newly imported clips are showing up as msmMMOB.01, msmMMOB.02 etc.
This means that each clip has a unique reel munber which I assume might make the color correction more tricky down the road?
I tried using the "pattern" option to assign reel numbers at the start
but I couldn't get it to work, maybe because of the file path structure of XAVC footage?

Any advice on this workflow? I am using V11 of Resolve.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
Re: Any gotchas with this Avid workflow?
on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:17:14 am

Try using Avid AAF Round-trip preset as you export your offline out of Resolve. I export directly to Avid MediaFiles>MXF>number and use the AAF in each export collection to add the clips to our Bins. You can drag drop each AAF as you did the .mdb

My memory on how the reel name should look is a little off, but it can be the full source clip name or the card reel?

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Robert

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:47:45 am

Have a look at Michael Phillips post on the Avid forum about reel name & tape name for making MXF from Resolve to Media Composer.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/45/897854

Hope this adds more info.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:08:47 pm

Try exporting an aaf out of resolve, and then import that into Avid rather than dragging from the database. I believe that will get rid of your MOB naming issue.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:11:20 pm

I should add to it.

Don't just make a new bin in resolve, make a seperate timeline for each "bin' you want in avid. Then roundtrip those timelines using the avid roundtrip setting. This will automatically make an aaf out of resolve.
(i think it usually shows up 1 level up from where you told resolve to create your media?) import each of those aafs into their respective bins in Avid, and then try your trip back to resolve.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:41:03 pm

If you populate Avid bins by dragging the media database then you lose reel info.
Better method is to open the Media Tool (Tools > Media Tool), ask for all clips and all projects. Identify your master clips. Select and drag all from Media Tool to a bin.
All metadata intact.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Israel Diaz
on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:51:49 am

I have the another problem like Chris.

I export aaf to Resolve, here I duplicate the timeline because if I not duplicate I have problems.

When I finish the grading I realease a round trip to Avid that works good. But the problem is when I realease a second export in Resolve and overwrite archives in Avid in the number forlder, this not works.Avid say me no mediafiles I not change nothing only render another time.

Suggestions

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Aug 11, 2014 at 9:56:06 am

Your second export may not have the exact settings as your first one. Avid recognises Avid DNxHD .mxf files made by Resolve perfectly.

When I render something (as DNsHD) and then later re-render it I usually move the old files out (of the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 folder) and then copy the new files in. That way I have files to go back to if something goes wrong.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Israel Diaz
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:04:04 am

Hello.

Yes Avid reconigze the files but put outline all the files inside the secuence when you take out the first files or replace.

Yes I change handles only

Also when I import the aaf of the new grading secuence, automatically Avid link to the fisrt secuence.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:18:40 pm

[Chris Coote] "Import AAF into Resolve and select: use original camera footage."

If that works. I am going to open a thread on not being able to get 11 to import an AAF from Symphony 7.0.3.

Yes, I have done AAF imports before successfully prior to 10.1.5 and 7.0.3.

Good Luck,
Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Chris Coote
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:02:07 pm

OK, been testing all morning with your suggestions.
Importing the AAF from Resolve into Avid results in weirdness and error messages
every time. If I open the media tool and drag the clips into a bin it works.
When I use "Assist using clip names" in resolve, I get reel names that match the clip names
and those carry across into avid, but the return AAF into resolve doesn't link to the original footage when prompted.
When I use "assist using reels names embedded in source clip" I don't get any reel names in either Resolve or Avid, but the round trip seems to work well. So I guess I will go this route. In Avid, if I drag from the media tool instead of dragging the MDB file, the reel column stays blank instead of being filled with mob reel names.
BTW, I am using Symphony 6.04.
Has anybody tried any of this with version 8 of Avid?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]