FORUMS: list search recent posts

AAF with Media

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Glucksman
AAF with Media
on Aug 5, 2014 at 6:51:28 am
Last Edited By Jesse Glucksman on Aug 5, 2014 at 6:52:46 am

Hi, everyone. I just got a project as an Avid AAF with media included. The Media page doesn't seem to recognize AAFs and when I import the AAF into the Edit page, it wants to know where the media is so it can be loaded into the Media Pool. I must be missing the part where DaVinci recognizes that the media is in the gigantic AAF file it just imported. Anyone know what I did wrong?

For what it's worth, the project originated in Avid MC v6 and I'm running Resolve v11 (though I had this same issue in 10).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: AAF with Media
on Aug 5, 2014 at 2:04:21 pm

You need to have the aaf and the media supplied separately.

If you have Avid, you can import the aaf and it will isolate the media for you. Then take that media, which will be located in you Avid MediaFiles/mxf/1 folder, and import it into Resolve.

Or, as the editor to redo the aaf, and tell him rather than to embed the media in the aaf, to select the option to put it into a specific media folder.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Aug 5, 2014 at 3:42:10 pm

Cool, thank you for that. My mistake for thinking a media-included AAF would work. I may have to try your suggestion, but--

I also had the editor send the media with a data-only AAF as well. The issue here is that he edited with the footage (DSLR) linked via AMA and then consolidated/transcoded to DNx for delivery to me. DaVinci isn't able to automatically relink to the new transcodes because avid always adds a bunch of numbers to the file names. Do you think there's anything I can do with that situation, or is importing into Avid the media-included AAF the best option?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 6, 2014 at 3:24:18 pm

Just make sure he is sending you an aaf from the sequence that is the result of his transcoded media. That aaf, and the media that it created should all link up in Resolve. (You may have to play with some of your conform preferences, but it should all work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:13:59 pm

The safest option is to always create your own system-based AAF with the proper Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (or other number, if you feel the need) file name convention. I have found over the years that trying to use the editor's AAF almost 100% of the time results in a corrupt re-write or an abrupt exit to the desktop upon AAF export in File... Export... mode.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:52:39 pm

Fair point. I got lucky that the editor made the AAF correctly so everything went well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:33:04 pm

Thanks. Importing the AAF went through perfectly the editor had already transcoded to DNxHD prior to making the AAF. DaVinci linked up with no problem once I got it in there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]