FORUMS: list search recent posts

Isolating a color

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Isolating a color
on Aug 2, 2014 at 1:41:06 pm

Hi,

This is probably a very basic question but I'm still learning DaVinci.

Okay, I want to isolate a specific color (red) however when I use the selection picker, it's only picking up so much detail as there's different shades of the color. Please see pics attached.

So I figured I need to use a mask, which works for the bulk of red however I find it tricky using multiple masks for other areas.

How should I go about this?

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Isolating a color
on Aug 2, 2014 at 3:18:06 pm

You are headed down the correct path.

Keep in mind (unless you are doing a tutorial with perfect footage) that there are very few instances out there where you are going to cick on a color, and immediately pull a perfect key. Masking is going to be needed in many cases. Hopefully, you can pull a good enough key that your mask doesn't need to be absolutely tight to the subject, but can have some breathing space.

Obviously you need to play with your ranges. turn your different settings on and off, and adjust each one indivdually. it just takes a lot of tweaking, especially if you are working with highly compressed footage.

As for the masks, perhaps you should think about working with each mask in a different node, and combine them at the end. Play with your layer nodes and see what you can come up with. Sometimes trying to do everything in 1 node is more trouble than its worth.

my 2 cents.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 2, 2014 at 7:34:59 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "Sometimes trying to do everything in 1 node is more trouble than its worth. "

And occasionally you want to "tee" something up in a preliminary node to hit it squarely down the node tree, like pushing a green-screen in a parallel node, pulling the matte and feeding it into an isolation/qualifier "alpha"...

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 3, 2014 at 5:58:52 am

If you're on v10, pp. 468-481 of the user manual covers secondary isolation pretty thoroughly. I find you're generally better off including more than less, to avoid tearing and a "chattery" key, but a lot depends on the material you're working with. And as Joe mentions above, a lot also depends on where in the node tree you're trying to do the secondary.

The excellent tutorials from Alexis Van Hurkman and Warren Eagles go into basics like this in great detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]